This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7004 / 51°42'1"N
Longitude: -0.6619 / 0°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 492570
OS Northings: 201026
OS Grid: SP925010
Mapcode National: GBR F5T.7H4
Mapcode Global: VHFS8.GJYC
Plus Code: 9C3XP82Q+46
Entry Name: Hyde House
Listing Date: 23 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44639
Location: Chartridge, Buckinghamshire, HP16
Civil Parish: Chartridge
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Chesham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 90 SW
CHESHAM ROAD (south side),
Small country house. Early C18 with early C19 alterations. Painted
stucco with ashlar lines. Slate roof behind parapet. 2-storeys.
6-bays with double hung sash windows in moulded architrave frames to
all but central two windows on each floor which are mullioned and
transomed 2-light casements, those on first floor with leaded glazing
and stained glass panels, those on ground floor with lattice glazing.
Central glazed door with late C17 carved surround with segmental
pediment and carved frieze with cherubs heads, curved brackets on
beasts. Fanlight with stained glass. Each side of door is an old stone
heraldic shield, with arms of Woburn Abbey and Russell. West elevation:
6 bays of sash windows. Garden (south) elevation: of 7 bays, with tall
triple sash windows to left on ground floor, central wooden door case
with pilaster surround and frieze. Service wing on left dated 1929,
roughcast and gabled, linked to C18 flint and brick cottage and stable
wing with old tile roof, C19 cast iron stalls and partitions internally.
INTERIOR of house: late C18 staircase with twisted balusters; Morning
Room has moulded plaster cornice and C18 carved oak chimney piece with
caryatid and royal arms to iron fireback. Dining Room has good plaster
cornice with urns, carved chimney piece with original iron fireback.
Drawing Room has ornamental frieze and plain cornice, bolection panelling
and white marble chimney piece with large scrolls and old iron fireback.
HISTORY: Formerly Chesham Woburn Manor, belonging to Woburn Abbey and after
the dissolution to the Russells. Home of Robert Plumer Ward, politician
and writer between 1804 and 1832, and of Isaac D'Israeli 1825-6 when
Benjamin Disraeli wrote his second novel "Contarini Fleming" in the house.
Listing NGR: SP9257001026
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings