History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mepal, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.409 / 52°24'32"N

Longitude: 0.1165 / 0°6'59"E

OS Eastings: 544066

OS Northings: 281106

OS Grid: TL440811

Mapcode National: GBR L4S.SC9

Mapcode Global: VHHJ3.YQZ4

Plus Code: 9F42C458+HJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49556

Location: Mepal, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Mepal

Built-Up Area: Mepal

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Mepal St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in


(East side)


Parish church. C13 with restorations of 1849, 1876 and 1905 by Carbe. Field
and rubblestone with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with crested ridge
tiles and restored end parapets. West end of nave has double bellcote under a
gable with vesica opening to the spandrel. The bellcote is carried on three
carved stone corbels. Plan of nave and chancel. Nave has diagonal
buttressing to south west and north west corners and a restored west window of
a single light in a pointed arch and moulded label and stops. C19 gabled
porch has two-centred outer arch with label and stops and diagonal
buttressing. The inner arch is two centred and chamfered. The chancel has
two C13 lancets in the south wall with modern labels. As in the west wall,
there is reused moulded stone in part of this wall. Rebuilt east window of
three lights with similar stops. North wall also has two C13 lancets.
Interior: West wall has original deep splay to lancet window and similar
splays to paired lancets in nave south wall. The north window openings have
modern rear openings. Two centred chancel arch of two chamfered orders on
chamfered responds with moulded capitals. C19 organ bay and vestry on west
side of nave. Original rear arches to two lancets in north and south chancel
walls each. Piscina, C13, of two bays each in two centred arch. Font: C13,
square bowl with chamfered courses on modern stem and base. Wall monument on
west wall James Fortrey (d.1719), son of Samuel Fortrey, of Fortreys Hall,
Byal Fen, in Chatteris parish. James was page of honour to Mary of Modena,
Duchess of York and wife of James II. He was also Groom of the Bedchamber to
James II.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p441
VCH: Cambs Vol IV

Listing NGR: TL4406681106

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.