This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8823 / 50°52'56"N
Longitude: -3.8352 / 3°50'6"W
OS Eastings: 270996
OS Northings: 110810
OS Grid: SS709108
Mapcode National: GBR L1.SN7D
Mapcode Global: FRA 26VR.X9Y
Entry Name: Toatley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95505
Location: Chawleigh, Mid Devon, Devon, EX18
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Chawleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chawleigh St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 SW
2/34 Toatley Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C15-early C16 with later C16 and C17 improvements, C17 kitchen
block, modernised circa 1981. Plastered cob on rubble footings; stone rubble
tacks topped with C20 brick; slate roof (formerly thatch).
Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south-east with former
inner room at right (north east) end. C17 kitchen block at right angles to rear of
hall and inner room with end stack. Inner room has rear corner stack. Hall has
large stack backing onto passage. Unheated service end was once a dairy. C20
stair block across back of hall blocking rear passage doorway. Circa 1981 1-room
extension on left end is narrower and set back from main front. 2 storeys.
Irregular 3-window front of C20 casements, some iron-framed and some with glazing
bars. Hall window higher than other ground floor windows. Front passage door left
of centre with C20 gabled and slate-roofed porch. Circa 1981 extension recessed on
left end has one window on each floor. Roof hipped each end.
Multi-period interior: oldest recognisable structure is the hall roof carried on a
late C15 - early C16 true cruck truss with cambered collar and saddle poviding for
a square-set ridge purlin (Alcocks' apex type C). Truss is smoke-blackened proving
that the hall at least was open to the roof and heated by an open hearth fire. In
late C16 fireplace inserted into hall, rubble sides with oak lintel the soffit of
which was originally provided with a flattened Tudor arch but later mutilated by
now-removed flat-topped chimney piece. At same time passage chamber erected which
jettied into hall as far as chimney breast. Its bresummer is exposed with front
soffit given a flinted moulding of concave flutes with fillets between. In the
rear wall a contemporary oak 2-light window with chamfered mullion is set over
position of rear passage door. It is now blocked. Hall floored in early or mid
C17. Its deliberately high ceiling has original moulded plaster cornice, the same
is used in the chamber above. No carpentry detail is exposed in passage or former
service room/dairy except roof carried on a late C16-early C17 side pegged jointed
cruck. Inner room was apparently rebuilt in late C17 or C18 with diagonal corner
fireplace, rubble sides, curving pentan and oak lintel soffit-chamfered with
straight cut stops, plain axial joists and roughly-finished. A-frame truss roof
with pegged lap-jointed collar. Kitchen block is mid-late C17. Large rubble
fireplace has inserted or relined side oven and soffit-chamfered and straight cut
stopped oak lintel. Alcove to left is said to be site of winder stair. Crossbeam
also soffit-chamfered with straight cut stops and roof carried on side-pegged
jointed cruck truss.
This is a typical Devon yeoman's farmhouse. The deeds survive back to 1602 and
from 1602 until 1981 it was in continuous occupation by the Reed Family. Name also
recorded in 1330 and 1394 (Place Names of Devon).
Listing NGR: SS7099610810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings