This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8848 / 50°53'5"N
Longitude: -3.8677 / 3°52'3"W
OS Eastings: 268716
OS Northings: 111135
OS Grid: SS687111
Mapcode National: GBR L0.SD11
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SR.P0Y
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95524
Location: Eggesford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX18
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Eggesford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Wembworthy with Eggesford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 61 SE
1/53 Church of All Saints
Small and isolated parish church, former estate church. Tower is C15, rest was
completely restored and much rebuilt in 1867 although some of fabric at east end is
C15. Original work of local mudstone rubble laid to rough courses in the tower and
granite detail; C19 restoration work of snecked rubble with Hatherleigh stone
ashlar detail; slate roof with crested ridge tiles.
Nave with narrower and lower chancel, north aisle with narrower and lower mortuary
chapel at east end with vaults below, north porch and west tower. Decorated and
West tower of 2 stages has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and embattled
parapet with moulded granite coping. Simple 2-light windows with round-headed
lights to belfry. Internal stair turret with tiny slit windows in north and west
sides. West side has late C15 granite doorway, a flat 2-centred arch with richly-
moulded surround and cushion stops with side spirals. It contains a C19 plank door
with ornate wrought iron strap hinges. Above is a granite 3-light window a little
restored with Hatherleigh stone. It has Perpendicular tracery and moulded hood.
The nave projects a little to the south. Built of snecked rubble with Hatherleigh
stone dressings it appears to be a complete C19 rebuild. 2-window south front
with a buttress between and flanking diagonal buttresses. Both windows are similar
Hatherleigh stone 3-light windows with Decorated style cusped reticulated tracery.
The chancel is rubble built and is probably medieval although it has C19 quoins and
the roof level has been raised slightly, the east end has Hatherleigh stone shaped
kneelers, coping and a cross of Iona at the apex. The windows are Beerstone and
probably C19; a square-headed 2-light window on south side with cinquefoil heads
and open spandrels, and a tall 3-light window at east end with Perpendicular
tracery and moulded hood. The north-east chapel extends a little further east than
the chancel and is also rubble built with renewed quoins, a raised roof with shaped
kneelers, coping and fleuree cross on apex. It is blind at east end. In the
angles between nave and chancel and chancel and chapel are C19 cast iron drain
pipes with rainwater heads enriched with rose and thistle motifs. On the north
side all the windows are C19 with acutely pointed heads and with Perpendicular
tracery and moulded-hoods with carved labels. 2-light window to chapel at left
end below which the ground drops sharply to provide access to the vaults where
small barred door has broad granite doorcase. 2 windows to completely C19 north
aisle, 2 lights to left and 3 lights to right of porch and flanked by diagonal
buttresses. Porch is narrow and gable-ended. Front has flanking buttresses,
shaped kneelers and coping. Outer 2-centred arch has moulded surround and inner
moulding on flanking half-engaged columns. The moulded hood has labels carved as
male and female heads. Above the arch the gable contains a carved plaque
containing the crest of the Earls of Portsmouth with the date 1867. North door is
granite, possibly reused; a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and sunken
spandrels enriched with quatrefoils. It containsd a C19 plank door with ornate
Interior is mainly result of the 1867 renovation. All roofs are C19 ceiled wagon
roofs. They are relatively plain although the north aisle roof has carved bosses
and the wall plate is enriched with carved openwork and painted heraldic devices
under each truss. The wall plate of the nave roof rises over a timber shield-
shaped plaque recording the restoration of 1867. The tall plain flat-arched tower
arch is probably C15. C19 Beerstone chancel arch has moulded arch on half engaged
column responds with moulded caps and bases. Contemporary Beerstone moulded arch
dying into plain responds between aisle and chapel and 3-bay Beerstone arcade
between nave and aisle in which piers have clustered shafts with Perpendicular-
style moulded and carved capitals. The arch between the chancel and chapel is
granite, probably reset C15 work. The responds are moulded (Pevsner's A-type)
with caps to the shafts only. Floors throughout of C19 tiles laid in patterns.
The chancel is plain. C19 oak altar rail on twisted iron supports with ivy leaf
brackets. Contemporary Gothic stalls and pulpit. Benches include series of C18
box pews in the nave. They are panelled and grained. The rest are C19 and the
north aisle includes a large enclosure, the family pew of the Earls of Portsmouth.
It now holds a C20 organ. Font is Norman but much restored in 1919. It is a
purple mudstone cushion font. The basin is squared off on the sides, each of which
contains a six-pointed star or lily motif in a sunken circle. The carving has been
retooled. The shaft and plinth are new; circular shaft has neck ring carved with
chevrons and cable ring at base, and plinth formed of scallops on a slope with the
corners cut to exaggerated curves.
The 2 C17 Chichester monuments attributed by Katherine Sidaile to William Smith of
Charing Cross and the early C18 Fellowes monument are outstanding. All were
originally together in a room north of the chancel where they were described by W
Spreat but in 1867 they were re-erected in their present positions.
On the north wall of the chapel is the monument to Edward Lord Viscount Chichester
(died 1648) and Dame Anne his wife(died 1616) erected by their son Arthur in 1648.
The pair are represented as life size recumbent figures, high quality carvings in
white marble. He, wearing his coronet, has sword and baldric; she is veiled.
They lie on a shaped grey marble sarcophagus on moulded white base and black lid
and plinth. It projects from an arched almost round headed recess resting on
marble Corinthian columns and surmounted by the family arms. The back of the
recess contains plaques flanked by heraldic achievements. The elegy contains
"Fam'd Arthur, Irelands dreade in armes and peace. Her tutular genius : Belfasts
Honoure wonne. Edward and Anne, blest payre, begott increase of landes and heires
: Viscount was grafted onn. Next Arthur, in Gods cause and kings stakt all, And
Had to's Honour add'd Donnegall".
Arthur's own remarkable monument, erected in 1660, dominates the nave. The
Viscount, carved in white marble, stands life size in the centre; a cavalier in
armour wearing a coronet. He is flanked by his two wives reclining on the top of
an open pediment. The veiled Dorcas (died 1630) on the left and Lady Mary (died
1648) on the right with coronet and the stillborn baby who caused her death. The
pilasters supporting the pediment are carved with arms and trophies of war. Below
Mary is a charming sculpture of the group of children who died young, the eldest
lad leaning on a sword with his arm round his sister. The whole composition set in
a round-headed recess supported on marble Ionic columns with heraldic cartouches
above and surmounted by the family arms. The arch is enriched with heraldic badges
and soffit has arms and symbols of war carved on marble panels.
The east end of the chapel is completely taken up by the massive Italian marble
monument in memory of William Fellowes (died 1723). Massive flanking, full height
Corinthian columns carry a moulded entablature and segmental pediment containing
the arms of the deceased in a cartouche. In the middle is a round-headed niche
containing the incomplete memorial, a rectangular base with soffit-moulded lid
containing the inscription in poor Latin and with a sarcophagus shaped block above
with the base for a missing vase. 4 figures from the base are also missing. The
whole is flanked by panelled marble and has 3 steps across the front.
Other monuments include a rectangular plaque high in the wall alongside to right of
the Edward Chichester monument in memory of John Coplestan (died 1606) and his wife
Dorothy (died 1601). To left of the tower arch is the marble mural memorial of
Henry Arthur Fellowes (died 1792); a rectangular plaque in a frame with scroll
wings, moulded cornice surmounted by a vase with drapery, the sill supported on
scroll consoles and an apron featuring the arms of the deceased in a guilloche
frame. To right of the tower arch the marble mural monument of Francis Fellowes
(died 1819); a framed rectangular plaque with moulded cornice surmounted by a
Latin cross, sill enriched with Vitruvian scrollwork and supported on scallop
consoles and apron of clustered leaves. On north side of the aisle plain marble
memorial in memory of Lady Uriaha Wallop (died 1844). The north door is flanked by
similar Gothic style marble memorials, the left to Newton 4th Earl of Portsmouth
(died 1854) and the right to his wife Catherine (died 1854).
The nave contains some fragments of C16 armorial glass reset in the tracery. The
Portsmouth pew is overlooked by a good stained glass window in memory of Isaac
Newton (sic), 5th Earl of Portsmouth (died 1891) and made by Kempe. Other C19
stained glass in chancel by Clayton and Bell. Nave has an ornate C19 brass
chandelier and a cast iron tortoise stove.
Sources: Devon SMR. Devon C19 Church Project. Church Guide, C.A.Cardale.
Listing NGR: SS6871611135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings