History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chrishall Grange

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0642 / 52°3'50"N

Longitude: 0.1037 / 0°6'13"E

OS Eastings: 544306

OS Northings: 242730

OS Grid: TL443427

Mapcode National: GBR L90.H21

Mapcode Global: VHHKV.RC5Z

Entry Name: Chrishall Grange

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163121

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52920

Location: Fowlmere, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Fowlmere

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Find accommodation in
Fowlmere

Listing Text

TL 44 SW FOWLMERE CHRISHALL ROAD
(West Side)
5/107 Chrishall Grange
(formerly listed in
26.11.51 parish of
Chrishall, Essex)
GV II*
Small country house. Early C18 with C19 alterations and additions. Red
brick with random burnt brick headers in Flemish bond; gauged and moulded
brick details. Red plain tiled double pile roof and roofs to rear wing. Two
storeys with attics and original service basement, rectangular plan of
symmetrical five and three 'bays' with added C19 service wing and attached
coach house in similar style. Moulded brick cornice and moulded brick
copings to pair of shaped gables in side elevations and rear wing. Band
between floors of four brick courses; plinth. Three stacks each with four
attached octagonal shafts and similar gable end stack to C19 service wing and
bakehouse chimney. South elevation: Five 'bays' with central 'bay' slightly
advanced. Main entrance approached by five original stone steps with moulded
edges; early C19 double glazed doors, reeded architrave with corner bosses,
large rectangular fanlight with cast iron glazing bars in flat gauged brick
arch with unsupported flat canopy. Four ground floor and five first floor
slightly recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows with moulded frames. Two
C19 canted bay windows with hung sashes in east elevation, and two original
attic casements. Interior: Basement plan complete with cooking hearth and
evidence for baking oven and other facilities; ground floor plan unaltered,
staircase hall with C18 limestone pavings and fine open string staircase with
closely set balusters and moulded hand rail, C18 raised and fielded panelling
and panelled window shutters, some C18 doors. C19 details include
replacement doors, marble chimney pieces and panelling. Rear service wing
retains original C19 details. Possibly built for Nicholas Pollerfen 1704
sold to J. Manchett 1717 to remain in the family till 1769; then sold by the
Brand family in 1822 to T. Brand, Lord Dacre.
R.C.H.M. North Essex, p66
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p208


Listing NGR: TL4430642730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.