This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7666 / 50°45'59"N
Longitude: -3.3567 / 3°21'24"W
OS Eastings: 304417
OS Northings: 97207
OS Grid: SY044972
Mapcode National: GBR P5.852N
Mapcode Global: FRA 37V2.42B
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86987
Location: Whimple, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Whimple
Built-Up Area: Whimple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Whimple St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
WHIMPLE THE SQUARE,
10/228 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C15 and C16 (date of 1571 on the tower), partly rebuilt, partly
thoroughly renewed in 1845 by Heyward of Exeter. Tower is coursed blocks of
volcanic ashlar, rest is snecked volcanic ashlar; original Beerstone ashlar detail,
replacement limestone ashlar; slate roof.
Plan: large church. Nave and chancel with nearly full length north and south
aisles. South porch. Vestry projects north of the north aisle chapel. West tower.
Tower remains intact (is it really as late as 1571?), rest rebuilt in 1845.
Exterior: west tower is 2 stages with set back buttresses and embattled parapet
with corner pinnacles. Internal tower stair turret north-east corner has external
Tudor arch doorway. Square-headed 2-light belfry windows with cinquefoil headed
lights. West doorway is a 2-centred (nearly round-headed) arch with moulded
surround, carved foliate spandrels, and hoodmould inscribed with the date 1571.
Above is a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Aisles have 3-light windows
with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel east window is 4 lights with Decorated tracery.
South porch is left of centre; gabled with diagonal buttresses and volcanic 2-
centred outer arch with moulded surround, similar south doorway behind. Further
right on south side a buttress has a thickened base to accommodate small arch-headed
priest's doorway. On north side gabled vestry with end stack.
Interior: nave, aisles and chancel have C19 open wagon roofs with moulded ribs and
purlins; carved oak bosses in chancel only. The break between continuous nave and
cnancel roof marked by an arch-braced truss, the spandrels pierced with quatrefoils.
Tall C15/C16 tower arch is Beerstone, panelled with moulded surround. C15 Beerstone
arcades, both 5 bays with moulded piers. (Pevsner's type B) and carved foliate
capitals. Plastered walls. Chancel floor is tiled, rest is flagged including a
couple of C17 graveslabs.
Furniture and fittings: mostly date from 1845 but the grand carved Beerstone
reredos in later in the C19. Gothic style, centre is gabled with Perpendicular
tracery and surmounted by carved figures of Christ flanked by demure angels. Each
side are commandment boards in ornate Gothic frames. Oak altar rail on Gothic
arcade. Oak Gothic style stalls and pulpit. C19 Eagle lectern. Nave has C15 oak
benches with tracery carved on the ends but they were restored in the C19. Aisles
have fielded panel box pews. C15 Beerstone font; octagonal bowl carved with cusped
crosses, panelled stem and moulded base. Oak tower screen dated 1952 in
Perpendicular style and incorporates genuine C15 painted panels, ancient colour,
rustic representations of saints. Presumably they are reused from the old rood
Memorials: are mostly C19 including a notable Gothic monument in the chancel in
memory of Thomas Heberden (d. 1843) in Gothic sytle. In south aisle unusual marble
plaque in memory of Anna Maria Newcomb (d. 1732). Best monument over south door in
memory of Rev. John Hicks (d. 1707); plaque with frame surrounded by carved cherubs
and garlands, flanking corinthian columns support moulded entablature and pediment
broken by an heraldic cartouche and stand on a shelf carried on scroll consoles with
carved apron between. Small board painted with Royal Arms in north aisle.
Some good C19 stained glass around the Church. East window by William Wailes.
Source: Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SY0441797207
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings