This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.073 / 51°4'22"N
Longitude: -4.1255 / 4°7'31"W
OS Eastings: 251189
OS Northings: 132562
OS Grid: SS511325
Mapcode National: GBR KN.DLQJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 2678.YCF
Plus Code: 9C3Q3VFF+6R
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163217
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98727
Location: Fremington, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Fremington
Built-Up Area: Fremington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Fremington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 53 SW
2/21 Church of St Peter
Parish Church. C13 tower, C15 nave, chancel and south aisle, enlarged and altered
in 1813, and heavily restored and largely rebuilt 1867-8 by Sir G G Scott. Roughly
coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends and
apex crosses. Nave, chancel, south aisle and transeptal north tower.
Unbuttressed tower with embattled parapet. Bell-openings of 2 slender cusped-
headed lights to each face and single tall lancet near base on north side. Pointed
blocked arches to west and east sides. C19 Perpendicular style fenestration to
chancel nave and south aisle, east end of aisle and chancel of 4 and 5 lights,
north side of nave with one 2-light and three 3-light windows, two 3-light windows
at west end, that to nave has human head corbels to pointed arch hoodmould, and
four 3-light windows to south side of aisle. Largely C15 south porch has moulded
virtually semi-circular arched porch doorway with engaged shafts with rolled
capitals. Slate sundial above and stoup to right. Waggon roof intact with moulded
longitudinal members and moulded central rib with variously carved bosses and end
demi-bosses at the intersections, with carved figures sitting on stone carved
corbels along the wall plates. Semi-circular arched inner door with moulded
surround and old studded 6-plank door with horizontal boarding and old lock to
Interior: C19 7-bay Perpendicular style arcade. Ceiled waggon roofs, the wall
plate at east end of north side of nave decorated with 4 medieval grotesque heads.
C20 nave furniture. C15 wineglass pulpit, heavily restored in C19.
Monuments: North side from east. Wall monuments to Susanna Davie, (d.1694). Oval
medallion swathed with drapery, scallop and skull to base, amorinos to each side.
Undated to Richard Slowly. Broken pediment with central achievement. Wall
monument dated 1693. Oval medallion. Central achievement with swan-necked
pediment, on which angel figures recline. 2 charity boards to left over 3 early
C19 tablets surmounted by classical urns to Elizabeth May, Crocker family, and
Chappel family. Slate tablet below to George Bragg of Loveacot (d.1629). 5
diamond-shaped hatchments with painted arms. South side of south aisle. Painted
royal arms over south porch doorway. Large C18 wall monument to Harding family.
Timber surround to slate tablet. Broken pediment with central urn. Above is a
section of medieval wall painting said to represent tower of Holy City and 2
angels. Large early C19 wall tablet to Barbor family at east end.
Stained Glass. Chancel east window, not dated. South aisle east window to William
Yeo. South side of south aisle to William Yeo d. 1880 by Ward and Hughes and to
Mabel Silleant (d.1882). Nave north side to John Pigot, rector (d.1910).
Listing NGR: SS5118932562
Other nearby listed buildings