This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7309 / 51°43'51"N
Longitude: -0.7001 / 0°42'0"W
OS Eastings: 489871
OS Northings: 204375
OS Grid: SP898043
Mapcode National: GBR D41.HTH
Mapcode Global: VHDVL.TR8G
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 22 December 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44700
Location: The Lee, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP16
Civil Parish: The Lee
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: The Lee
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 80 SE THE LEE THE LEE
4/92 Parish Church of
St. John the Baptist
Parish Church. 1867-1869 by Augustus Frere. In 1910 E.H. Fellowes Poynne
added vestry, aisles and baptistry at west end, also internal
alterations. Interior refitted by Libertys. Red brick with stone
dressings, including sill and abacus bands. Tiled roofs - 2-bay chancel,
4-bay nave with east 2-bays aisled. Transepts, south porch and west
baptistry. In Early English Gothic style with lancet windows, east
window of 3-lights. Cusping to lancets and windows of 1910 work. Stepped
buttresses. Coped gables with crosses at apexes. Bellcote at west end.
Foundation stone on chancel north wall inscribed "relaid by Emma Louise
Liberty on Enlargement of Church 14th October 1910". Interior: colour-
washed render, stone dressings, arches and piers. Depressed arches into
transepts. Chancel roof panelled with ribs and bosses. Nave has arches
of two chamfered orders into aisles. Three light windows to aisles.
Chancel arch of two orders, moulded capitals on cobels. Braced and
ashlared collar rafter roof to nave.
Listing NGR: SP8987104373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings