This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5039 / 53°30'14"N
Longitude: -2.4557 / 2°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 369869
OS Northings: 400902
OS Grid: SD698009
Mapcode National: GBR CW9X.4N
Mapcode Global: WH987.76V4
Entry Name: Administration Block at Astley Hospital
Listing Date: 18 July 1966
Last Amended: 27 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213512
Location: Wigan, M29
Electoral Ward/Division: Astley Mosley Common
Built-Up Area: Tyldesley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Tyldesley St George
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
TYLDESLEY CHURCH ROAD
SD 60 SE
block at Astley
18/7/66 as Dam House)
House, now hospital. Recut stone above entrance reads
"erected by Adam Mort and Margaret Mort 1650" but with
extensive additions to rear in early and late C19. Rendered
brick and brick with stone dressing and slate roof. 5 x 3
bays with 3 storeys. The C19 ranges which make up the
quadrangle are largely of 2 storeys and continue to use
mullioned windows and vernacular motifs. The elevation
consists of gabled crosswings which project to either side
of the house-part, a 3-storey porch within the left angle
and an additional bay to the left. The porch bay has a
studded, cross-boarded door with Doric columns, an open
pediment and a fanlight. Each crosswing has a canted 3-
storey high bay window with enlarged openings on the ground
floor. Otherwise the majority of the double-chamfered stone
mullion windows appear to be unaltered (on front only).
They have from 2 to 6 lights and the principal rooms have
transoms and hoodmoulds. 3 gables and projecting chimney
stacks to side elevations. Rear is an extension of early C19
as is the 4-bay wing to rear right which includes a chapel
at first floor level. The other 2 sides of the quadrangle
are in stock brick, of late C19, and include a coach house.
Interior: altered on the lower storeys but retaining many
original and Regency features including an inglenook
fireplace in the left room, beams, elaborate Gothickdoor
surrounds and doors. Splendid Gothic roof trusses to chapel.
The upper floor retains 6 and 2-panel doors with strap
hinges and timber-framed crosswalls with wattle and daub
infill are fully exposed. Brick vaulted cellar - C19.
Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.
Listing NGR: SD6986900902
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings