History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pampisford, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1123 / 52°6'44"N

Longitude: 0.1858 / 0°11'9"E

OS Eastings: 549775

OS Northings: 248248

OS Grid: TL497482

Mapcode National: GBR M9V.KSZ

Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.55LK

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163297

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52034

Location: Pampisford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Pampisford

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Pampisford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hinxton

Listing Text

TL 4848 PAMPISFORD CHURCH LANE
(West Side)

10/202 Parish Church of
St John the Baptist
22.11.67 with High Street

GV II*

Parish church. C12 nave, south doorway with noteworthy carved tympanum,
north arcade inserted c.1200. Chancel early C13, west tower c.1330 added to
shortened nave; wide tower arch in anticipation of a larger tower. Chancel
arch rebuilt and north aisle widened C15. Restorations in 1850, and 1856 by
P.C. Hardwick (1822-90) when the south porch was added; 1876-91, and 1893-7
by Sir Arthur Blomfield (1829-99), vestry and organ chamber. Walls of flint
rubble with clunch and limestone dressings, red plain tiled roofs, small lead
covered spire. South elevation: Tower of two stages with embattled parapet
and angle buttresses of two stages rising to belfry height. Belfry window of
two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil in two centred arch; lancet window
blocked by clock face. Nave and chancel roofs with parapet gables and cross
finials. C12 south-west quoin to nave. Three restored C19 windows,
South doorway C12, jambs each with C19 detached shafts with original
capitals, east with leaf ornament and west with small volutes, and chamfered
abaci, round arch with carved tympanum with design of ten arches each with a
figure or object (P.C.A.S.) depicting incidents connected with the life and
death of St John the Baptist. South porch by Hardwick, wooden, Gothic style
with steep roof and deep bargeboards, lights with tracery. Gabled,
buttresses to east quoin and to east walls of chancel. Chancel with two C19
windows and priest's door. Interior: Nave arcade of four bays cut into C12
wall, two-centred arches with narrow chamfered edges. First and third
octagonal, centre pier circular, all with octagonal to square moulded caps,
first pier has leaf ornament at angles of cap, base of central pier
roll-moulded; north aisle rebuilt C19. Tower arch two-centred of three
chamfered orders with semi octagonal attached shafts. Chancel arch late C15
two-centred of two hollow-chamfered orders, at the apex a carved corbelled
bracket. The responds have a moulded capital carved with paterae, and
moulded base. Font C12 retooled, octagonal bowl with round corner pieces to
squared base with C19 pedestal and plinth. Font cover C15 octagonal ogee
with crocketed ribs and band of quartrefoils at base, C16 figures of St John
baptising Christ added later. Screen, late C15 of three main bays with
pierced tracery and transomed foiled panels. Two C17 chairs. C19 hatchment
in north aisle. Monuments in chancel, Richard Nash 1805 and in north vestry
reset stone to Nash family 1805-1829; north aisle wall monument to Margaret
wife of Wm Parker Hamond of Pampisford Hall 1845; recessed stone slab with
cusped arch and crocketed label and finial to Wm Parker Hamond 1812 and Mary
his wife 1850; white tablet surmounted by draped urn to Caroline Mackenzie
daughter of Mrs Parker Hamond 1841. Nave roof restored by Hardwick and
chancel roof by blomfield. Glass by Kempe.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p111-2
Colvin. English Architects, p263
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p448


Listing NGR: TL4977548248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.