History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Croydon, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1292 / 52°7'44"N

Longitude: -0.0797 / 0°4'46"W

OS Eastings: 531544

OS Northings: 249610

OS Grid: TL315496

Mapcode National: GBR K6N.JN8

Mapcode Global: VHGMX.KRQ5

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52687

Location: Croydon, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Croydon

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Croydon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Arrington

Listing Text

CROYDON CHURCH LANE
TL 34NW (West side)

8/24
Church of All Saints
22.11.67

GV II*

Parish church. C13 nave and C14 north and south aisles. C14-C15 west tower
and later C17 or early C18 chancel. Fieldstone, brick, clunch rubble and
dressed clunch. Tiled roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles
and chancel. West tower of three stages. Parapet with main cornice and
central gargoyle. Later diagonal buttressing. Newel stair turret in south
west corner. Four centre arch to west window of two cinquefoil lights. Bell
stage has two openings with trefoil heads in two centred arch. Nave without
clerestory. South aisle probably rebuilt C14, but in origin C13. Fieldstone
repaired in brick. Two cinquefoil light windows in square heads. Clunch.
South doorway of two continuous moulded orders in two centred arch. South
chapel, C14 origin, restored. South and East windows each of three cinquefoil
lights in square head. Roof and gable end rebuilt. Three shields of arms
reset in brickwork to gable end. Chancel c.1687, remodelled 1867. Fieldstone
and brick with Ketton limestone dressings of C19. Interior: South arcade C13.
Four bays of two chamfered orders in two centred aisles on octagonal columns
with moulded capital and base. The bay at the west end was blocked and part
fenestrated when the west tower was added in C15. North arcade c.1300 of four
bays and two centred arches. Two chamfered orders with broach stops on
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The roof of the south
chapel has been rebuilt. In the east wall are two C14 niches with foiled
heads flanking a three-light window. There is no chancel arch. Font: C12
bowl of limestone. Rectangular bowl with double rolls at the angles and plain
bands at top and bottom.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1)
VCH: Cambs vol V


Listing NGR: TL3154449610

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.