This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5907 / 50°35'26"N
Longitude: -4.2959 / 4°17'45"W
OS Eastings: 237583
OS Northings: 79293
OS Grid: SX375792
Mapcode National: GBR NP.D0CQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 17WH.XWB
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92313
Location: Dunterton, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Dunterton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SW 37 NE DUNTERTON DUNTERTON
9/67 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Chantry for monastery at Tavistock prior to 1460. Circa early to mid
C14 origins with reset tracery and piscina surviving. Nave largely rebuilt, with
north aisle and west tower added in circa 1460s. Evidence of slight alteration in
nave roof evident on east side of west tower. South porch circa late C15. East wall
of chancel possibly partly rebuilt in 1774. Date scratched in masonry. Coursed
stone with ashlar west tower with moulded plinth and strings. Curved moulded plinth
to north aisle, chancel and nave. On south wall of nave, height of plinth alters
between south porch and buttress to east. Slate roofs with nave and chancel in one,
projecting beyond north aisle. West tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses,
battlemented parapet and octagonal crenellated turrets and crocketted finials. West
door beneath round-headed relieving arch. Round granite arch with moulded jambs with
3 rollmoulds. Hood. Good early studded door with moulded cover strips. Strap
hinges. 3-light freestone Perpendicular west window above with cusped headed lights.
2-centred arch with hood. 2-light belfry openings with cusped heads. Slate louvers.
North aisle; west window of 1 tall light with cusped heads in rectangular hood.
Blocked north door with 4-centred arch with heavy chamfer and segmental hood. Almost
round relieving arch. Circa C17 tracery to east with 3 segmental headed lights in 4-
centred arch. In partly blocked opening. Remains of lower rood loft stairs
projection with reset circa 1330s. Decorated ogee cusped tracery of 1-light above.
In rectangular opening originally to rood loft. East windows of north aisle and
chancel, C19. Geometric tracery. In south wall, 3-light granite Perpendicular
window in rectangular surround with hood. Segmental relieving arch above. To west,
3-light freestone tracery in 4-centred arch with pointed relieving arch. To west of
porch, reset, single rectangular light with trefoil cusped head. Rectangular
surround with incised spandrels. Gabled south porch with almost round-headed arch
with moulded jambs Rectangular surround with incised spandrels. South door with
granite, almost round-headed arch with heavy central rollmould, bar and divided spade
stops. Good C19 door with reused earlier lock.
Interior Cement rendered. 4-bay north arcade with Cornish type A (Pevsner) piers.
Moulded bases and carved caps with castellated abaci. 4-centred moulded arcade
arches. Moulded tower arch with groups of 3 engaged type A (Pevsner) moulded piers.
Moulded 4-centred arch to belfry stairs. Stained original waggon roof to nave and
chancel with moulded ribs divided by 3 unmoulded ribs. Carved bosses. Nave with
recarved arcade plate on moulded stone brackets. Original wall plate to nave. North
aisle with original waggon roof with moulded longitudinal ribs. Porch roof original
with moulded ribs and restored wall plate.
C19 furnishings. C18 hexagonal timber pulpit on granite base. Fielded panels with
inlaid moulded edges. Incised corner pilasters. Octagonal granite font. Simple
piscina in south wall of chancel, circa mid C14 with cusped head with blind arch to
top. Remains of rood-loft stairs in north aisle. Low, almost round-headed arch to
entrance. Stocks in tower. Slate floor throughout.
Monuments; above piscina in chancel, engraved slatestone to Matthew Brayford
Chyrurgeon, son of Thomas Bayford, 1714. Square panel with inter twined foliage
around edge. Also to Thomas Brayford, rector of parish, died 1678. On north wall of
chancel, C19 monument of Rev. William Royse rector. In tower, several well engraved
slate lids probably from tombchest. On south wall, slate with strap work. Include
monuments to Francis ---- died, 1736 and Philip and wife Isabella, c1682.
Listing NGR: SX3758279295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings