This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9545 / 53°57'16"N
Longitude: -2.7938 / 2°47'37"W
OS Eastings: 348008
OS Northings: 451221
OS Grid: SD480512
Mapcode National: GBR 8QXQ.Y5
Mapcode Global: WH84M.1VXT
Plus Code: 9C5VX634+QF
Entry Name: Nos 1 and 2 Clifton Hill and Adjacent Chapel
Listing Date: 17 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185474
Location: Forton, Wyre, Lancashire, PR3
Civil Parish: Forton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Shireshead St James
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
FORTON No's 1 and 2
SD 45 SE
Clifton Hill and adjacent chapel
Country house, now divided into 2 houses, 1820 by Richard Gillow.
Sandstone ashlar with hipped slate roofs. 2 storeys. Comprises a central
block with flanking pavilions. Central block has clasping pilasters and a
cornice, and one bay to each side of a 2-bay pedimented projection.
Windows sashed with glazing bars. On the ground floor the right-hand bay
and the right-hand link to the pavilion are covered by a glazed lean-to.
In front of the central projection a single-storey porch with cornice and
blocking course projects further forwards. 0n each side of the door there
is a blind recess. The door has an architrave, and above it an entablature
breaks forward in a shallow ellipse and is supported on 2 Ionic columns.
Each return wall of the porch has a window with pointer head and Gothick
glazing. The pavilions have corner pilasters, a central blind arched
recess, and a window to the left with ashlar reveals. Above the left-hand
link is an added tower of 2 storeys with attic. The garden front is of 3
bays, with one-bay pavilions. The central bay is bowed and has a
tripartite window on each floor. The pavilions also have tripartite
windows, except for the right-hand one on the ground floor which is
modern. Interior has a geometrical stair, with stick balusters and
mahogany handrail, in an oval well. House contains glass from the Low
Countries. Adjoining to the south-west is a former Roman Catholic chapel,
now being converted into living accommodation, said to be of 1878 although
it appears to be of more than one build. Its front wall has twin gables
with projecting purlins, the side walls having round-headed windows.
Inside, there is an open timber roof with 2 king-post trusses, and a
gallery with pitch pine front. The northern end is divided off by 2
adjoining plastered round arches of different sizes, each with a painted
Listing NGR: SD4800851221
Other nearby listed buildings