History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary and St John the Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hinxton, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0847 / 52°5'4"N

Longitude: 0.1835 / 0°11'0"E

OS Eastings: 549707

OS Northings: 245175

OS Grid: TL497451

Mapcode National: GBR MB7.C5X

Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.4VCR

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 17 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52978

Location: Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB10

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hinxton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hinxton St Mary and St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hinxton

Listing Text

TL 4845 HINXTON CHURCH GREEN
(West Side)
20/165 Parish Church of St Mary
22.11.67 and St John the Evangelist
(formerly listed as
Blessed Virgin Mary and
St John the Baptist)
GV II*
Parisn Church. Chancel, nave and west tower c.1200, mid C14 south chapel,
and chancel arch rebuilt. South porch later C14 and west tower rebuilt
except for east wall. C15 south aisle between porch and south chapel built
by bequest of Sir Thomas Skelton (d.1416), east wall of chancel rebuilt
possibly late C17. C19 restorations. Walls of flint rubble with Barnack
limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs plain tiled and leaded. South
elevation: Tower of two stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet
with lead-covered octagonal timber spire with crocketed finial and sanctus
bell. Three stage diagonal buttress on west end, trefoiled-light belfry
window. Nave roof with cross finial to parapet gable; embattled south porch
restored. South aisle with stepped plain parapet, large window of four
trefoiled lights C15, with vertical tracery in segmental heard. South chapel
with parapet embattled at gable end, C15 window of three cinquefoiled lights
with vertical tracery in two-centred head. Chancel, possibly shortened in
C17 with carved shield of arms of Hinde in east wall. Small C13 doorway with
stop-chamfered jambs and two-centred head. Interior: Nave, rood doorways
and stairs within thickness of wall: blocked C12 doorway with plain square
jambs and shouldered head; arched opening to south aisle Cl5 four-centred
and similar arch between south chapel and south aisle; late C14 south
doorway with two-centred inner arch and square outer head with traceried
spandrels and quatrefoils. Chancel arch two-centred, opening to south chapel
segmental and pointed both of two double ogee and wave-moulded orders. Tower
arch c.1200, two centred of one plain order with narrow chamfers, square
responds with small attached shafts with plain caps. Roofs of chancel, C17,
three bays with side purlins and chamfered tie beams. C14 nave roof restored
collar rafter scissor braced trusses. C19 tie beams. Roof of south chapel
C15 low-pitched of two bays with moulded principals, curved solid braces and
moulded wall posts supported on carved stone head-corbels. South door, two
centred head with vertical boards divided into six panels with trefoiled
heads late C14. Font C14, square clunch bowl, with corner shafts and
scalloped cap on octagonal stem. Piscina in south chapel with moulded
trefoiled head C14. Stoup C15 by south door with trefoiled head. Screen C15
beneath chancel arch of three bays, restored. Seating, reused poppy head
bench ends. C17 communion table. Pulpit early C17 with sounding board
restored 1912. Glass fragments and figure in quatrefoil C14 or C15.
Hatchments, four in chancel and three in south aisle. Brass in south
transept, three figures on purbeck marble slab of Sir Thomas Skelton
(d.1416). Coffin lid at entrance to porch. Monuments: In chancel; to Dame
Mary Dayrell, Marmaduke her son and Sarah her daughter, grey and white marble
with garlanded urn on pedestal by Edward Stanton; to Sir Thomas Dayrell
d.1669 inscription of lineage with additional tablet to Barbara Lady Hinede
d.1667; to Sir Marmaduke Dayrell grey and white marble with two putti
holding symbols of mortality and shield of arms. South chapel; white marble
tablet to Sarah Stutter d.1830; while marble tablet to James Spencer,
d.1841. Nave; black and white marble with draped urn to Mary wife of Wm
Vachell d.1795 and Wm Vachell d.1807 by Regnart. Floor slabs to Thomas
Dayrell d.1664; Catherine Dayrell d.1757; to Sarah Dayrell d.1728; to Dame
Mary Dayrell d.1717; to Sir Marmaduke Dayrell d.1729; to James Spencer
d.1841; to Sarah Stutter; to Rev Clarkson d.1833; to Mary Vachell d.1795; to
Wm Vachell d.1807.
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p228
Pevsner: Buildings of England
Clayton, M. Brass Rubbings V & A


Listing NGR: TL4970745175

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.