History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Guilden Morden, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0731 / 52°4'23"N

Longitude: -0.1371 / 0°8'13"W

OS Eastings: 527778

OS Northings: 243279

OS Grid: TL277432

Mapcode National: GBR J5V.VKZ

Mapcode Global: VHGN8.K5X2

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 4 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52522

Location: Guilden Morden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Guilden Morden

Built-Up Area: Guilden Morden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Guilden Morden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

Tl 2643 GUILDEN MORDEN HIGH STREET
(East side)

17/117 No 99 (The Priory)

GV II

House, formerly a farmhouse. C15 with late C17 and C19 alterations and
additions. Timber framed and roughcast rendered. Plain tiled roofs. Side
stack to left hand and ridge stack to right hand of central range of red brick
with vertical brick band set diagonally and with an additional flue to right
hand. Two storeys forming an irregular H-plan. Main range an original open
hall of two bays with further bay possibly two storeyed to the south, modified
as a cross wing in the C17. Cross wing to the north obliquely sited in C19
beside the boundary. West facade: Two-panelled C19 door to left hand of main
range, three ground floor and four first floor hung sash windows with margin
glazing bars, (two C18 iron casement windows with leaded lights in rear
elevation). Interior: Two bay open hall with C17 inserted chimney stack to
south in original cross passage position and with intersecting framed floors.
Cambered tie beam to display truss with solid bracing, plain chamfers, and
mortice for crown post. Closed truss to north with weathered timbers above
tie beam indicating an external wall; chamfered wall plates with edge halved
and bridled scarf joints; three pairs of rafters in situ, smoke blackened
formerly with collars and evidence of a louvre on two randomly sited rafters;
roof reconstructed with wind braced, side purlins. C19 details and boxed
staircase to north cross wing, double cupboards with raised and field panels
in room to south. C19 tiled floor.

RCHM report 1950


Listing NGR: TL2777843279

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.