This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8428 / 53°50'33"N
Longitude: -0.432 / 0°25'55"W
OS Eastings: 503267
OS Northings: 439642
OS Grid: TA032396
Mapcode National: GBR TSF0.86
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.BNKX
Plus Code: 9C5XRHV9+46
Entry Name: The Grapes
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167447
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/04/2017
SATURDAY MARKET (east side)
No 27 (The Grapes)
(Formerly listed as Wine Sellars and The Push Inn)
Mid C18. Two storeys and attic in painted brick.
West front, first floor five sash windows with glazing bars. Ground floor a simple C19 shop front with plate glass, one window with panelled shutters, one bow shop window with original glazing, reeded cill and cornice enriched with balls. Panelled stone base, side panels incorporated to receive shutters when open. Cornice continues over these, forming a very satisfactory junction with the main structure. Stone string to first floor. Rusticated quoins. Bold moulded wood eaves cornice. Pantile roof with three gabled dormers.
South front, first floor four windows. Ground floor doorway with stone architrave and two richly carved double console brackets, late C18 shop front with modillion cornice, one window. One pair of broad doors. Staircase with closed string, plain newels, and handrail, but no balusters, except in top two flights where they are of mid-C18 turned type.
The Grapes has a C19 public house interior including a bar with semi-vase shaped studs and fielded panelling. Occupies a very prominent corner in the square. Messrs Mills, Wine Merchants are old established in these premises.
Listing NGR: TA0326739642
Other nearby listed buildings