This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.772 / 50°46'19"N
Longitude: -3.1213 / 3°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 321029
OS Northings: 97529
OS Grid: SY210975
Mapcode National: GBR PC.MNSY
Mapcode Global: FRA 47B1.RS7
Entry Name: Cookshayes Farmhouse Including Gate Piers Adjoining to South
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88807
Location: Widworthy, East Devon, Devon, EX24
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Widworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Widworthy St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 NW WIDWORTHY
4/135 Cookshayes Farmhouse including
- gate piers adjoining to south
Farmhouse. Late C16 - early C17 (maybe earlier core) partly rebuilt and thoroughly
refurbished in 1702 by Robert Marwood. Plastered local stone and flint rubble with
some Beerstone detail; stone rubble stacks with C18, C19 and C20 brick
chimneyshafts; thatch roofs, some of it replaced with corrugated iron.
Plan: the main block faces south and it has a 3-room plan. Since no full internal
inspection was available at the time of this survey the precise details of the
internal layout cannot be described. However the left end room which has a
projecting gable-end stack and the centre room which has an axial stack backing onto
it are the 2 principal rooms and one was the dining room. The centre room has a
narrow room behind it. The main stair is at the right end with a stable behind and
large room in front in a wing projecting at right angles with a projecting outer
lateral stack. There is no partition crosswall between the stair and front room.
There is an entrance hall in a 2-storey turret in the angle of the 2 wings. A
kitchen wing projects at right angles to rear of the left (west) end. This is a
wide building with a narrow room on the outer (west) side which was probably a dairy
or buttery originally. The kitchen has a large gable-end stack and there is a
service stair between the kitchen and the front room. The present layout is
essentially the result of the 1702 refurbishment although it seems that the basic
fabric is late C16 - early C17, and parts may be earlier. A crosswing on the left
(west) end or south end of the present crosswing is supposed to have existed once.
The house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: regular 4:1:1-window front. Most are C20 casements, those in the gable
end of the crosswing without glazing bars. However 2 of the first floor windows of
the main block are late C16 - early C17 2-light Beerstone windows with ovolo-moulded
mullions and hoodmoulds. There are more similar windows on the entrance lobby and
in the inner (west) side of the crosswing; some are blocked but others contain
rectangular panes of leaded glass. The main doorway, on the inner side of the
entrance lobby has an early C17 hoodmould. The main block roof, the entrance lobby,
kitchen block and crosswing roofs have gable ends with shaped kneelers and coping.
The left gable end of the main block is blind with a stone mounting block in front.
The windows around the rest of the house are mostly C20 casements with glazing bars
although there are a couple of late C16 - early C17 oak windows with ovolo-moulded
mullions and a couple of early C18 oak flat-faced mullion windows.
Interior: only limited internal access was available at the time of this survey but
enough was seen to indicated that late C16 - early C17 carpentry and early C18
joinery detail survives. For instance the kitchen has a late C16 - early C17
chamfered and step-stopped crossbeam. The large contemporary fireplace is blocked
although its oak-framed front is exposed and in the outside wall behind are 2 oven
doorways (the ovens and their housing has been removed. In the main block and
crosswing all structural carpentry is plastered over. However the left room of the
main block has a large early C18 bolection chimneypiece. The large fireplace in the
crosswing has a C19 chimneypiece. The main stair is also early C18; a good dogleg
stair with closed string, square newel posts, moulded handrail and turned balusters.
A tall stone rubble garden wall projects forward from the left end of the front and
it contains early C18 Beerstone ashlar gate posts; square in section with alternate
projecting blocks and ball finials.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SY2102997529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings