History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Steeple Morden, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0657 / 52°3'56"N

Longitude: -0.1258 / 0°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 528573

OS Northings: 242467

OS Grid: TL285424

Mapcode National: GBR J61.K0D

Mapcode Global: VHGN8.RBWT

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164121

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52611

Location: Steeple Morden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Steeple Morden

Built-Up Area: Steeple Morden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Steeple Morden St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

TL 2842 STEEPLE MORDEN CHURCH STREET
(West Side)
22/206 Parish Church of
S.S. Peter and Paul
22.11.67
GV II

Parish church. North and south nave arcades late C13, with clerestory of
quatrefoil lights blocked by late C14 aisle roofs. Late C14 south porch.
Collapse of spire c.1625 ruined chancel which was rebuilt during the
restoration by T.C. Hine of Nottingham, in 1866-69. A belfry and spire were
added above the south porch in c.1670, and reconstructed in 1866. Some
interior remodelling c.1903. Walls of flint and pebble rubble with clunch and
freestone dressings, and clunch and limestone ashlar. Plain tiled and leaded
roofs, spire shingle clad. South elevation: Gable parapets to nave and
chancel roofs. Diagonal buttresses of three stages to south aisle and south
porch and chancel. Plain parapet to south aisle and three large three-light
windows with vertical tracery in two-centred arches with moulded labels.
South doorway, two-centred arch with moulded jambs, and doorway to west with
four-centred head and original door leading to first floor of porch. South
porch, two storeys surmounted by timber-framed bell chamber and broached spire
with louvred, pent roof and spire lights; doorway restored of two chamfered
orders of double ogee and wave mouldings. Chancel with one two-light window
in two-centred arch. Font, late C13 or early C14. Glass fragments in south
windows of chancel. Brass indent in nave, purbeck slab with matrices for a
knight and lady c.1400. Two purbeck slabs in south porch. Monuments: North
wall of north aisle tablet in black and white marble surmounted by an urn to
Rev Richard King M.A. d.1810; and below an oval panel to his wife d.1822.

R.C.H.M. Report 1950
V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p122


Listing NGR: TL2857342467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.