History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cowley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton Pyne, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7506 / 50°45'1"N

Longitude: -3.5514 / 3°33'5"W

OS Eastings: 290651

OS Northings: 95697

OS Grid: SX906956

Mapcode National: GBR P0.N0CS

Mapcode Global: FRA 37G3.685

Entry Name: Cowley House

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Last Amended: 25 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86111

Location: Upton Pyne, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Upton Pyne

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Newton St Cyres St Cyr and St Julitta

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Upton Pyne

Listing Text

UPTON PYNE COWLEY
SX 99 NW
3/61 Cowley House
11.ll.52 (Formerly listed as Cowley Place )
- II

A moderately large house. Built shortly after 1788 for William Jackson of Exeter by 'Mr Hicks, builder' to plans by Jackson's father, another William, 'musician and painter of Exeter'. Stuccoed. Slate-hipped double-span roof behind blocking course with moulded cornice. Moulded stringcourses at first and ground floor levels. Double-depth plan. 2 1/2 storeys. 3:1:3 windows, right and left in 3-storey, 3-window segmental bows. 12-pane sashes with glazing bars. Second floor smaller 6-pane sashes. Central segmental-headed doorway with fanlight and panelled double doors and moulded cornice above on console brackets. Reset above doorway a small C17 figure, armed and standing over a running hart. 2 storey, 2 bay, right-hand (north-east) wing with 12-pane sashes and first floor moulded string course. Semi-circular central stair bay at rear. C20 single storey wing to south-west.
Interior: little survives, but what does is of good quality; an elegant dog-leg
staircase with scrolled balusters and oddly decorated newels crowned with ogee
finials and, at each stair angle a semi-circular wall niche. The stairwell windows retain their original leading, and the original doors have been retained throughout.
Sources: William Jackson's letter of 1788 contains a rough draft plan of house and grounds, and is in the possession of Midland Bank plc, Regional Office (Devon).


Listing NGR: SX9065195697

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.