History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel and School Room

A Grade II Listed Building in Lode, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.241 / 52°14'27"N

Longitude: 0.2436 / 0°14'37"E

OS Eastings: 553289

OS Northings: 262680

OS Grid: TL532626

Mapcode National: GBR M8D.GDK

Mapcode Global: VHHJZ.5XNY

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel and School Room

Listing Date: 15 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49304

Location: Lode, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Lode

Built-Up Area: Lode

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Lode with Longmeadow

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Swaffham Bulbeck

Listing Text

TL 5362 LODE HIGH STREET
(West Side)

10/46 Baptist Chapel
and School Room

GV II

Baptist Chapel and schoolroom dated 1832 on plaque at gable
end. The two-storey porch at the front was probably added at
the same time as the ministers room at the rear, in 1855. Grey
brick with low pitch slate roof. Principal elevation in gable
end and in two stages and three recessed bays, each with an
elliptical arch. The two outer bays each have five hung sashes
with glazing bars, the lower windows retaining their original
shutters, but the centre bay of the original facade is now
obscured by the two-storey porch which is also grey brick and
slate, with a pedimented gable end and sawtooth cornice. Round
headed arch to recessed bay in gable end and similar arch to
window at first floor and to doorway. The tall, tapering
chimney stack to the schoolroom was probably also added in
1855. The ministers room is of grey brick and slate and of one
storey. There is a brick dated 1855 in one end. Contemporary
with the chapel are part of the chapel yard wall, the gate piers
and the wrought iron gates and arched lamp holder. Inside the
chapel has a two-stage pulpit with fluted pilasters at the
corners and a gallery and pews all probably 1855. The
schoolroom is divided from the main body of the chapel by a
series of screens, also original, which are raised when there is
a need to accommodate a larger congregation.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p74, mon (2)
C.F. Stell: unpublished survey of Nonconformist Chapels
(R.C.H.M.)


Listing NGR: TL5328962680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.