This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5818 / 50°34'54"N
Longitude: -3.4815 / 3°28'53"W
OS Eastings: 295210
OS Northings: 76831
OS Grid: SX952768
Mapcode National: GBR P2.R79G
Mapcode Global: FRA 37LJ.HJ3
Plus Code: 9C2RHGJ9+PC
Entry Name: 13 Weech Road and former gig house
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Last Amended: 8 February 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84435
Location: Dawlish, Teignbridge, Devon, EX7
Civil Parish: Dawlish
Built-Up Area: Dawlish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dawlish St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
House and associated stable and gig or coach house. The house is probably late C17 or early C18 with a transverse wing and two storey lean-to service range on the north side of 1846. The gig house is considered to be contemporary with the earliest part of the house.
MATERIALS: C17/C18 west range constructed of cob on tall limestone footings rising to ground floor window head height, all under an asbestos cement slate roof. Transverse east range constructed of randomly coursed local limestone under a natural slate roof. Limestone and brick stacks.
PLAN: 'T' shaped plan, west range now divided into 6 rooms all giving onto a corridor along the north wall of the building. There is a stair tower centrally aligned with the former entrance hall on the north side of the building, now partly encapsulated within a two storey lean to extension and a large external stack to the north wall; its east end subsumed within the lean-to addition. East range comprises three rooms, the central one being the former entrance hall. The stable and gig house is situated to the north-east of the house and has a rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: south elevation of the west range is of seven bays, with two storeys with three dormers (rebuilt) lighting the attic. All rendered, the seven bays are defined by thirteen mullion and transom windows, the central ground floor bay has a metal framed C20 window occupying the position of the former southern entrance to the range. The south gable of the east range is of three storeys, randomly coursed limestone with French doors to ground floor, mullion and transom windows above. East elevation of east wing, of five bays and two storeys with attic, two dormers partly set within the eaves of the slate roof. Ground floor with blind openings, save the third bay accommodating the main entrance. At first floor three mullion and transom windows and the southern-most opening blind. Penultimate southern bay comprises a large double chimney stack which breaks forward of the main elevation. The north gable end of the east wing is blind; whilst the right return has a large opening at ground floor and a two-light window to the attic. The fenestration to the north elevation of the west range comprises both timber and metal-framed casements to the lean-to addition; those to the ground floor are boarded over. To the right, a mullion and transom window has been inserted within the external stack at first floor and there is a large C20 opening to the ground floor at the right hand end of the range.
INTERIOR: west range; most windows of the south elevation on both floors retain their linings and raised and fielded panel shutters, many with wrought iron 'H' hinges. A blocked fireplace with substantial timber bressumer is visible within the spine corridor and the stair located on the north side of the range retains scrolled tread ends, though rail, balusters and one of the newel posts have gone. Early roof structure, including collared trusses and purlins, and hip rafters survive; though the roof has been remodelled and the rafters have been replaced. East range retains door and window carpentry and plaster cornice detail to the ground floor south room. Its roof is of king post construction with supporting purlins and rafters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the stable and gig house is constructed of rendered cob under a double Roman tile roof. It is of one and a half storeys and of three bays. The front (south) elevation has a large opening to the left-hand bay which was formerly used for storing the gig and two doorways to the right of this. The east return has wooden pegged window frames which retain some glazing to both the ground and upper floor. To the roadside (north) elevation is an off-centre taking-in door and the west gable end has a window in the apex of the roof. Internally, stables formerly occupied the east two thirds of the building and the western third served as a bay for storing a coach or gig. The interior retains some C17/C18 roof carpentry and two chamfered ceiling beams with run-out stops.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/09/2011
Dawlish is an ancient parish and documentary references to the Living date from the C13 and after, though none make explicit reference to the Weech Road site before the 1839 Tithe map, which identifies both the house and the gig house. A detailed description with plans of the proposed works, commissioned by the new Incumbent, Reverend Edward Fursdon, is set out in an indenture of 1846, held in the Devon Record Office. The Vicarage was sold to the Great Western Railway Company in 1939 and was subsequently converted to both offices and staff accommodation, the building was later returned to domestic use but is currently vacant (2011).
13 Weech Road and its former stable and gig house are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: an evolved house that retains a significant proportion of late C17 or early C18 fabric, including the limestone and cob elevations of the west range, mullion and transom windows, fireplace with timber bressumer and roof carpentry
* Intactness: although the subject of unsympathetic alteration and neglect, it remains a significant late C17/C18 building that underwent remodelling and the addition of an east wing in the mid-C19 date
* Plan: its changing plan form over its long history is readable
* Group value: the former stable and gig house retains a good proportion of historic fabric and forms a cogent grouping with the house which it served
Other nearby listed buildings