This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5051 / 50°30'18"N
Longitude: -3.5649 / 3°33'53"W
OS Eastings: 289120
OS Northings: 68430
OS Grid: SX891684
Mapcode National: GBR QT.MMQ2
Mapcode Global: FRA 37FQ.DZF
Entry Name: Church of St Barthelowmew
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164557
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84791
Location: Coffinswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Coffinswell
Built-Up Area: Coffinswell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Coffinswell St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 86 NE COFFINSWELL CHURCH WAY
3/87 Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. Probably C13 tower and nave. C14 transept and C15 north aisle.
Circa mid C19 vestry. Rendered, probably sandstone/limestone, rubble walls. Gable ended slate roofs to nave, aisle, transept and vestry.
Nave, very shallow sanctuary, south transept, north aisle and west tower mid C19
vestry at west end of north aisle. 2 stage unbuttressed west tower, tapering, with battlements. 4 centred granite arched west doorway with hollow chamfer and ball stops. 3-light lancet window above, possibly original, with granite framing and hoodmould. 2-light arched belfry openings. On north side of tower are 2 small slit windows lighting the stair (which is contained within the tower). Tower has chamfered plinth. Blocked single arched light windows on east side of tower at first stage. Nave has tall early C16 3-light granite mullion window towards west end. It has a rebated frame with depressed arched heads to the lights and recessed spandrels, the mullions have been renewed. Square hoodmould above. Towards east end of nave is C19 3-light window in Bath stone with Perpendicular tracery and carved headstops to hoodmould. Immediately to
its right is circa late C19 lean-to porch to transept which has single light cusped head window in its side and 2-centre arched doorway at the front. The transept has a C19 Bath stone 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery on its south side. Similar date window with slightly simpler tracery on its east side and circa late C19/early C20 east window in Bath stone with 3-lights and Perpendicular tracery. The north aisle windows are all 3-light C19 and C20 restorations in Beer stone with Perpendicular tracery. According to a plaque inside, the east and west windows in the aisle were repaired and restored in 1938. C15 granite doorway towards west end of aisle has 4-centred arch and is chamfered with ball stops. Mid C19 lean-to addition of vestry at west end of aisle erected by the Revd. George Coleridge (vicar of Coffinswell 1827-47). This has a doorway to the left with arched wooden doorframe and a 4-light casement to the right with leaded panes. The vestry partially covers the blocked west window of the aisle.
Interior: 4 bay arcade to north aisle has Pevsner type B Beer stone piers which
have foliage capitals. The most westerly of these is further decorated with several coats of arms which refer to the Holbeame family and their connection with other families. This suggest that the aisle was erected by John Holbeame, a local gentleman who died in 1473. The moulding continues from the piers into the 4-centred arches. Square bases to piers. Very tall round-headed tower arch springing from chamfered impost stones. Similar arch to transept. In south wall of sanctuary is piscina with probably restored trefoil-headed opening. On east wall of sanctuary to right of window is an exposed small section of probably circa late Cl5/eariy C16 wall painting, somewhat damaged, which appears to be in a fish-scale pattern with the predominant colours of red and grey. It is likely this exists elsewhere in the Church concealed by plaster. Plastered barrel ceilings to nave and aisle are probably C19 restorations, although the one in the aisle may re-use some of the original moulded ribs. Boarded screen to tower arch has late C17/early C18 turned balusters on top of it which may be the former alter rails. Hung on the screen are the foot imprints, with signatures of C19 plumbers. There are also some old framed deeds hanging here. Circular Norman
front with cable moulding at top of pedestal with palmettes and a band of crosses
saltire above. Slate floor incorporates 3 early C18 and early-mid C19 slate ledger-stones. On the south wall of the sanctuary is a slate memorial with moulded plaster surround to Thomas Parch, his wife Johanna and their sons Thomas and Zachariah who died 1706-24.
Sources: "Notes on Devon Churches" - Beatrice Cresswell. Devon S.M.R.
Listing NGR: SX8912068429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings