This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0895 / 51°5'22"N
Longitude: -4.0026 / 4°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 259844
OS Northings: 134152
OS Grid: SS598341
Mapcode National: GBR KT.CMTL
Mapcode Global: FRA 26H7.QFQ
Plus Code: 9C3Q3XQW+RW
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98558
Location: Goodleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX32
Civil Parish: Goodleigh
Built-Up Area: Goodleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Goodleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 53 SE
Church of St. Gregory
Parish Church, late C15, early C16 west tower, otherwise rebuilt 1881 by Ashworth.
Tower of dressed stone, remainder snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs
with crested ridge tiles, coped gable ends. Apex gablets surmounted by crosses
west tower, nave, chancel and south aisle.
West tower of 3 stages. Crenellated parapet with crocketted pinnacles surmounted by
crosses. Diagonal buttresses with offsets. Bell-openings on each side of 2 four-
centred arched lights with hoodmoulds and louvres. Single trefoil-headed light with
hoodmould with returned ends to 2nd stage south-side. Pointed arched C19 3-light
west window with intersecting tracery above 4-centred arched west doorway with rough
stone voussiors, hoodmould with rosette motifs around the intrados and similarly to
the hollow-moulded surround to the doorway. C19 plank door with cover strips and
strap hinges. 4 slit windows to integral stair turret on north side.
South aisle has single trefoil-headed light at west end. 3 buttresses to south-side
with offsets that at east end is diagonally set. Two 2-light and 1 three-light
pointed arched Perp style windows. All the openings on south and east sides have
hoodmoulds with human head corbels. South porch with raised parapet and moulded
kneelers. Pointed arched doorway with moulded surround and nookshafts with lipped
capitals. Cusped headed niche above with stone carved episcopal figure. Archbraced
porch roof with crenellated wall-plate. Pointed arched south doorway with moulded
surround and pointed arched plank door with cover strips and strap hinges.
Interior: Pointed, double chamfered west tower arch. 3 bay arcade with pointed
segmental arches, Pevsner 'B-type' mouldings to the piers and foliated capitals.
Decorative arch-braced roof to nave of 7 trusses, with 2 tiers of purlins and
crenellated wall-plate. Each alternate truss has plain moulded corbel with carved
wooden angels at the base of each brace. Elaborate roof to north aisle with
crenellated wall-plates, also 7 trusses, each alternate truss having a king-post
with crenellations to the tie-beam with suspended centred pendant and cusped bracing
to the soffits of principals and raking struts, corbelled out with cusped bracing to
the wall posts. The remaining trusses are similarly decorated but without king-
posts. Ceiled waggon style roof to the chancel but slight pointing to the arch.
Each panel has diagonal struts with carved foliated designs at each intersection.
Pointed chancel arch with moulded intrados supported on piers with 3 engaged shafts
with lipped capitals. Pointed segemental arches to either side of chancel, that to
south has inner arch supported on nook shafts with floriated capitals. Carved
wooden reredos with blind cusped-headed panels with carved wooden symbols in each
panel. Decorative wrought iron brackets to communion rails. C19 polygonal pulpit,
pews, with blind ogee-arched panels with decorative spandrels to the bench ends.
Octagonal bowl and stem to the font with quatrefoil panels to the bowl and cusped-
headed panels to the stem.
Painted Royal Arms at west end of south aisle, dated 1788. Wall monuments. Chancel
north side to Charles Cooke, rector d. 1685. Oval medallion with cherubs heads
above, small skull below. 2 monuments on south wall of south aisle, 1 to Thomas
Acland of Combe d. 1633, scrolls flanking slate plaque with fleur-de-lis pendant and
heraldic shield above, the other to James Acland d. 1655, semi-circular headed
plaque with shield above and painted roundels to each side, bust below all with
East window stained glass dated 1880.
Flag floor to chancel, decorative patterned tiles to chancel.
Listing NGR: SS5984434152
Other nearby listed buildings