This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.642 / 50°38'31"N
Longitude: -4.2067 / 4°12'23"W
OS Eastings: 244070
OS Northings: 84806
OS Grid: SX440848
Mapcode National: GBR NS.8Z5V
Mapcode Global: FRA 272C.WG9
Entry Name: West Raddon Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92403
Location: Marystow, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Marystow
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 SW MARYSTOW
6/159 West Raddon Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa early C17 with C19 alterations and additions. Stone rubble with
asbestos slate roof gabled at ends, formerly thatched. 2 probably C17 stacks, 1
axial stack backing on to the passage, 1 at the right gable end. 2 C19 or C20 brick
chimneys. 3 room and through passage plan with 2-storey porch, the higher end
largely rebuilt and the roof raised, probably in the C19. A 2-storey addition under
a catslide roof on the front at the right and a single storey lean-to between the
addition and the porch are probably also C19. 2 storeys. Irregular 6-window front.
The lower end has a rough stone plinth and evidence of considerable rebuilding.
Gabled 2-storey porch with a C20 front door under a wider timber lintel, original
opening reduced in width. A 3-light timber ovolo-moulded mullioned window above the
front door has diagonal leaded panes and a slate drip ledge. Similar 2-light window
to ground floor left return of porch. The lower end has only 1 ground floor window,
a 3-light C17 timber ovolo-moulded mullioned window with diagonal leaded panes.
Windows in the higher end are 2 and 3-light C19 and C20 casements, 2 with square-
leaded panes. Second entrance on front at left of 2-storey addition has a C17
granite sill reused as a lintel. A rear door opposed to the porch is still intact.
Interior. Higher end only, inspected. Fireplaces C19 and C20 possibly concealing
earlier features. Single chamfered cross beams to both higher end rooms. C19 stair
with stick balusters. Roofspace not inspected.
The Domesday Manor of Ratdona was held of Judhel of Totnes by Nigel, and held by
Osulf at the time of King Edward. In 1243 it was held by William de Cantilupe in the
honour of Totton.
Reichel, T.D.A. 46 (1914), pp. 211-213.
Listing NGR: SX4407084806
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings