History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall Surrounding Sunken Garden Approximately 30 Metres South of Blands Farmhouse, with Tunnel Entrances

A Grade II Listed Building in Tatham, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1212 / 54°7'16"N

Longitude: -2.5751 / 2°34'30"W

OS Eastings: 362505

OS Northings: 469639

OS Grid: SD625696

Mapcode National: GBR BNGS.8D

Mapcode Global: WH952.DNZY

Entry Name: Wall Surrounding Sunken Garden Approximately 30 Metres South of Blands Farmhouse, with Tunnel Entrances

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182608

Location: Tatham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Tatham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Wennington

Listing Text

SD 66 NW TATHAM

2/72 Wall surrounding sunken garden
4-10-1967 approx. 30 metres south of Blands
Farmhouse, with tunnel entrances

GV II

Retaining wall around garden, early C19th. Sandstone rubble. Roughly
circular on plan, with buttressed straight section of wall on west side.
Contains 7 bee boles with projecting flagstone caps. Part of the wall on
the north side, together with an 8th bee bole, has recently collapsed
(December 1984). At the north-west side there are stone steps leading to
the upper garden level, and a doorway which leads to an underground tunnel
running in 2 directions, initially within the retaining wall. These
tunnels connect with a network of underground passages. There has been
much speculation about the history of the site, but discussions with the
grandson of 'Perpetual' Arthur Burrow, recorded by Baldwin Bent of Wray in
1935, confirm the view that this Arthur Burrow constructed the sunken
garden from quarry waste and constructed tunnels within the walls to
connect it with old coal workings. This Arthur (the second, 1759-1827) was
a local lay preacher, was apprenticed as a blacksmith, and was known as
'Perpetual' because he was said to construct perpetual motion machines at
Blands. Some of the underground water courses may be connected with his
experiments.


Listing NGR: SD6250569639

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.