History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Hinxton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.086 / 52°5'9"N

Longitude: 0.1816 / 0°10'53"E

OS Eastings: 549569

OS Northings: 245315

OS Grid: TL495453

Mapcode National: GBR MB7.4QZ

Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.3TBR

Entry Name: Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164679

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52995

Location: Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB10

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hinxton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hinxton St Mary and St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hinxton

Listing Text

TL 4845 HINXTON HIGH STREET
(East Side)
20/182 No. 58 (Hall
22.11.67 Farmhouse)
GV II
Farmhouse. Early C16 with late C16 or early C17 alterations and additions,
replanned in C19. Timber-framed and plastered with painted brick plinth.
Plain tiled roofs. Two end stacks to south of cross wings of C19 red and
gault brick with some reused brick; reduced painted brick stack to north
gable. One storey and attic with cellar. Main range possibly an open hall
reroofed with two jettied cross wings to east and west. West cross wing
early C16 jettied also to street elevation with stair turret surviving C19
demolition of north chimney. East cross wing late C16 or early C17. Main
entrance from street with six-panelled C19 door, one sixteen-paned hung sash
window to right hand and two similar first floor windows. Pantiled lean-to
bakehouse and brewhouse to south of east cross wing. Interior: West cross
wing substantial timber-frame of three bays with closed truss dividing bays
in two and one. Moulded cross beams to main room with ogee-hollow-chamfers
repeated in side purlins with hollow-chamfered collar, wind and arch braces
to roof trusses. A late C14 stone arcade panel of five bays is said to have
been removed from the church in the C19 by the church warden. Carved
spandrels resited above doors, may be original to the buildiing, and also the
folded leaf bressumer reused in east cross wing, possibly taken from the west
cross wing hearth; all other details C19.
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p221


Listing NGR: TL4956945315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.