History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Check House

A Grade II Listed Building in Seaton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7037 / 50°42'13"N

Longitude: -3.0778 / 3°4'39"W

OS Eastings: 323988

OS Northings: 89896

OS Grid: SY239898

Mapcode National: GBR PD.Y8KT

Mapcode Global: FRA 47F6.YKR

Entry Name: Check House

Listing Date: 14 April 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87579

Location: Seaton, East Devon, Devon, EX12

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Seaton

Built-Up Area: Seaton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Seaton St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Seaton

Listing Text

SEATON BEER ROAD
1.
5176
Check House
SY 28 NW 4/2
II
2.
Large detached house in landscaped garden overlooking sea. Now an hotel. Circa
1860. Probably to the designs of Benjamin Woodward but executed by Charles Edwards
and completed in 1866. Large Victorian gothic house. Built of knapped flint and
stone in chequered pattern with red brick and stone dressings. Steeply pitched slate
hipped and gabled roof. Small gables with shaped and pierced bargeboards. Two
storeys. Asymmetrical plan and elevations. Two storeyed canted bay with pyramidal
roof. Chamfered stone window frames with shouldered and cusped arches. Across south
front and around the curved corner to left is a cast iron verandah with decorative
pierced spandrels and glazed tented roof. Gabled timber porch at east end with ornate
bargeboards and finial and with three-light window in gable above. External corbelled
chimney breast to side with set-offs and diagonal shafts. Conservatory on west side
probably late C19.

The house was originally known as Calverley Lodge. It was built for Sir Walter
Calverley Trevelyan, geologist, antiquarian and botonist and his wife Pauline,
patroness of the Pre-Raphaelites. Trevelyan also built Seaton Bridge (Asemouth
parish) in 1877, the concrete bridge over the River Ase.


Listing NGR: SY2398889896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.