This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8703 / 53°52'12"N
Longitude: -2.3432 / 2°20'35"W
OS Eastings: 377532
OS Northings: 441617
OS Grid: SD775416
Mapcode National: GBR DR2P.HC
Mapcode Global: WH96B.ZZCC
Plus Code: 9C5VVMC4+4P
Entry Name: Little Mearley Hall
Listing Date: 29 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183412
Location: Mearley, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
Civil Parish: Mearley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Clitheroe St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 74 SE MEARLEY
SD 775 416
7/93 Little Mearley Hall
House, late C16th with early C19th alterations and re-used early C16th
window. Rubble, mostly pebbledashed with roof of slate and stone slate.
2 storeys with attic. The north-west front has a cross-wing at its
right-hand side having a window with plain stone surround on the ground
floor. On the 1st floor is a window with 2 mullions remaining, with an
inner hollow chamfer and an outer hollow chamfer with angle bead. The
attic has a stepped 3-light mullioned window with double chamfer and hood.
The main range has a 2-bay facade of squared sandstone, having paired
sashed windows with glazing bars in plain stone surrounds, separated by
square mullions. To the left is a door with plain stone surround. At
the far left is a 2-storey semi-octagonal bay window of sandstone ashlar,
from Sawley Abbey (VCH). 3 sides now have sashed windows with glazing
bars. The sides are separated by buttresses with decorated offsets,
capped by crocketed gablets at 1st floor level and with attached octagonal
shafts above with tracery decoration. Level with the 1st floor is a band
of blank arcading with ogees and cinquefoils. At the rear the cross-wing
has double-chamfered mullioned windows, as does the ground floor of the
main range. On the 1st floor is a 4-light mullioned window with outer
casement moulding with angle bead, and inner hollow chamfer. The lights
have segmental heads. At the far right is a similar surround, now
reconstructed. The door, at the left of the main range, has a moulded
surround with Tudor-arched head. Above is a stone plaque inscribed '1590'
with the arms of Nowell quartering Walmesley and the initials of
Christopher Nowell and Elizabeth (Walmesley) his wife (VCH). Inside, the
front room of the cross-wing has a wide fireplace with chamfered segmental
arch. The room in the main range lit by the bay window has 2 built-in
cupboards of C18th type, with raised panels, and semi-circular heads. Each
is flanked by fluted pilasters. The central room also has a built-in
cupboard with raised panels. An early C19th engraving shows the bay
window before sashes were inserted. Whitaker, T. An History of the
Original Parish of Whalley. 4th ed., 1876, Vol.II, p.114.
Listing NGR: SD7753241617
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings