This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7099 / 50°42'35"N
Longitude: -3.0676 / 3°4'3"W
OS Eastings: 324715
OS Northings: 90576
OS Grid: SY247905
Mapcode National: GBR PD.XZ5H
Mapcode Global: FRA 47G6.GQC
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87581
Location: Seaton, East Devon, Devon, EX12
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Seaton
Built-Up Area: Seaton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Seaton St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SEATON COLYFORD ROAD
Church of St Gregory
SY 2490 1/4 2.10.51
Parish church. Circa late C13 and early C14 with later alterations including C15 west
tower. Restored in 1860 by Edward Ashworth. Stone rubble with freestone dressings.
Nave with flat-headed two and three-light south windows one with ogee arched lights.
North aisle and north transept with two and three-light windows with reticulated
tracery and three-light intersecting traceried east window of transept now only
visible inside. South chapel has restored perpendicular three-light east window and
decorated window in what was south transept. Chancel has datestone 1764 in the gable,
restored three-light east window and two-light south window. South porch with
squat C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses, polygonal stair turret on south side
enbattled parapet, single-light bell openings with cusped arches and three-light west
window with reticulated tracery, over moulded arch west doorway.
Interior: moulded north arcade without capitals. Only two bays of arcade remain, the
west end is supported on cast iron columns to allow late C19 gallery to span the width
of the church into the north aisle. Similar chancel arch without capitals. Squint
from north transept. Treble-chamfered tower arch with shafts in the responds. C19
roofs and furnishings.
Monuments: Richard Kettle 1787, slate tablet. Jonathan Bowden 1726, a tablet,
Walrond and wife, 1640, reset over doorway with kneeling figure above. William
Listing NGR: SY2471690575
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings