This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9038 / 53°54'13"N
Longitude: -2.2533 / 2°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 383453
OS Northings: 445326
OS Grid: SD834453
Mapcode National: GBR DRP9.YB
Mapcode Global: WHB7J.C47L
Plus Code: 9C5VWP3W+GM
Entry Name: Middop Hall and Farm Building Adjoining at Right Angles
Listing Date: 16 November 1954
Last Amended: 27 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183415
Location: Middop, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
Civil Parish: Middop
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Gisburn St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 84 NW MIDDOP STOCKS LANE
4/96 Middop Hall and farm building adjoining
at right angles. (Formerly listed as
16.11.1954 Middop Hall and Barn)
House, c.1600. Squared coursed sandstone with stone slate roof. 2 storeys,
2 bays. Windows mullioned, double-chamfered with round heads to the lights.
Those on the ground floor, and the central one on the 1st floor, have hoods.
The ground floor windows are of 5 lights, the 1st floor ones of 4 lights
except for the central one which is of 2 lights. Some of the windows have
been restored. The door, in the central bay, has a chamfered surround with
triangular head and an open pediment of early C19 type on curved brackets.
Chimneys on left-hand gable (with projecting stack), to the right of the
right-hand bay, and on right-hand (north) gable. The north gable has a
3-light window with hood on each floor, similar to those at the front. To
the left is a chamfered door surround, blocked to form a window. The farm
building, probably of mid C19 date and with a slate roof, abuts the front
of the house, to the right of the right-hand bay. Its south wall has at
least 2 fragments from Sawley Abbey re-set, including one with 2 quatrefoils
in shallow relief. The east (gable) wall has a similar worn fragment. The
north wall has 3 windows with plain stone surrounds on the ground floor, and
4 plain stone door surrounds, 3 of which are blocked to form windows. On the
1st floor are 2 windows and 2 pitching holes, all with plain stone surrounds.
Interiors of house and barn not accessible at time of survey, but said to
contain little of interest.
Listing NGR: SD8345345326
Other nearby listed buildings