This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6417 / 50°38'30"N
Longitude: -3.4088 / 3°24'31"W
OS Eastings: 300480
OS Northings: 83390
OS Grid: SY004833
Mapcode National: GBR P4.C8ZH
Mapcode Global: FRA 37RC.V2T
Entry Name: A La Ronde
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87518
Location: Exmouth, East Devon, Devon, EX8
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Exmouth
Built-Up Area: Exmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Withycombe Raleigh St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 08 SW 6/1 6.12.49.
1798. A circular stone cottage ornee built by the Misses Jane and Mary Parminter.
The cottage consists of the central octagon which is thought to have been modelled
on the basilica of San Vitale in Ravenna. (The Misses Parminter visited Italy
and much of Europe between 1784 and 1794). The octagon is surrounded by 8 rooms
each connected to the rest through an ante-room. Above the octagon is a gallery
the outer wall of which is covered with designs in shells and feathers probably
planned as an C18 domestic echo of the mosaics of San Vitale. This gallery
is reached by a tiny staircase with grottos covered with designs in shells and
other materials. Other rooms have some interesting craft work by the Misses
Parminter including a feather frieze in the drawing room. Originally had thatched
roof terminating in an octagonal gallery with bell cupola above. Tiled roof
and dormers added early C20. Sash windows with diagonal glazing bars and diamond
shaped windows to ante rooms.
Listing NGR: SY0048083390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings