This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0658 / 54°3'56"N
Longitude: -2.5249 / 2°31'29"W
OS Eastings: 365743
OS Northings: 463443
OS Grid: SD657634
Mapcode National: GBR BPTF.58
Mapcode Global: WH95H.52XF
Plus Code: 9C6V3F8G+82
Entry Name: Swans
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Last Amended: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182633
Location: Tatham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Tatham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Tatham Fells The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 66 SE TATHAM
6/97 Swans (formerly listed as Swans and
4-10-1967 adjoining barns)
House, late C17th and mid C18th. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. 2
storeys. The western end of the building is lower and of late C17th date;
although originally a house it was until recently used as a farm building.
Its south wall has a drip course, now interrupted in places. On the ground
floor there are 6 windows with rebated and chamfered surrounds. The
left-hand one has had its mullions removed. The 2nd one is of 2 lights and
the 3rd of one light. The others are of 2 lights, the 5th one now blocked.
There are now no windows on the 1st floor. Chimney to right of 3rd window.
To the right is the taller mid C18th part of the house, of 2 bays with a
crude drip course over the ground-floor windows, which have plain stone
surrounds. They were formerly of 3 lights and have one mullion each
remaining. The 1st floor windows have rebated and chamfered surrounds.
Gable chimneys. On the north side the earlier part of the house has
numerous blocked openings, a 2-light rebated and chamfered mullioned
window, and a former doorway, now glazed, with a chamfered surround and a
lintel inscribed: 'WMD 1675'. Re-set above a wide doorway with plain
reveals at the left is a plaque inscribed: 'CDI 1693'. At the left the
C18th part of the building has a wing projecting forwards whose front wall
has windows with flat-faced mullions and a modern gabled stone porch.
Inside, the C17th part of the building has a chamfered shouldered
fireplace of C17th type, with brick bread oven, said to have a smoking
chamber within the flue, accessible from the 1st floor. On the other side
of the wall which contains this fireplace two wooden beams project and
support a bressumer. This was probably part of a firehood of unusual
Listing NGR: SD6574363443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings