This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.723 / 50°43'22"N
Longitude: -3.4521 / 3°27'7"W
OS Eastings: 297597
OS Northings: 92494
OS Grid: SX975924
Mapcode National: GBR P3.0WTL
Mapcode Global: FRA 37N5.GXT
Entry Name: Lychgate 15 Metres South-East of Sowton Parish Church
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86194
Location: Sowton, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Sowton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sowton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SOWTON SOWTON LANE (west side)
SX 99 SE
1/58 Lychgate 15 metres south-east
- of Sowton Parish Church
Lychgate. Erected to memory of Sarah Garrett, d.1852; architect unknown but
possibly by John Hayward, Diocesan architect who designed the church (q.v.), or
William White, who designed Bishop's Court for the Garrett family. Salcombe Regis stone, bonded into the coursed Heavitree churchyard wall; the gabled-end roof is of heavy Salcombe Regis slabs. The roof comes well down, almost to the level of the churchyard wall coping, and is surmounted by an axial Celtic cross. Pointed chamfered arches in end gables give in to what is in effect a short vaulted tunnel. Double gates, timber, open above with trefoil headed arches, boarded and railed below; iron fleur-de-lis crest. The design is an arresting and individual one that is reminiscent more of White's work than Hayward's.
Listing NGR: SX9759792494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings