This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0184 / 52°1'6"N
Longitude: 0.5615 / 0°33'41"E
OS Eastings: 575864
OS Northings: 238647
OS Grid: TL758386
Mapcode National: GBR PG5.JR7
Mapcode Global: VHJHR.PJ6K
Entry Name: Applegates
Listing Date: 19 September 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114433
Location: Great Yeldham, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Great Yeldham
Built-Up Area: Great Yeldham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Yeldham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 73 NE GREAT YELDHAM CHURCH ROAD, East Side
House, c.1400, converted for use as a public building, extended C18 and C19, now
a house. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay
hall aligned NE-SW with C17 axial chimney stack in NE bay. Integral storeyed
parlour/solar bay to SW, integral storeyed service bay to NE. Late C17/early
C18 2-bay extension to NW of NE bay, and additional C19 bay, forming an L-plan.
2-storey extension to SE of axial chimney stack, C19. External chimney stack to
NW of SW bay, C18/19. 2 storeys. SW elevation, C20 door in tiled gabled porch,
2 C20 casement windows and one C20 double-hung sash window on each floor. C19
window in facade gable, dummy. The axial chimney stack has 4 octagonal shafts,
C16/17, reduced in height. The SW stack has 2 C19 octagonal shafts. The
interior has jowled posts, heavy studding, plain joists of horizontal section.
The crownpost roof retains the original hips and gablets at both ends, inside
the later gables. One cross-quadrate crown-post is present, the 2 side braces
missing, the collar-purlin and collars complete, smoke-blackened. The wallplate
scarfs are edge-halved and bridled. This building is illustrated in Muilman in
1770 as The School House. 'The Free School for the poor boys occupies the site
of an old tenement called Ford's, which had been long held by the parish for
charitable uses, but was converted into a school and master's house in 1692'
(White's Directory, 1848, 722). RCHM 10.
Listing NGR: TL7586438647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings