This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3319 / 52°19'54"N
Longitude: -0.2987 / 0°17'55"W
OS Eastings: 516028
OS Northings: 271782
OS Grid: TL160717
Mapcode National: GBR H16.WTV
Mapcode Global: VHGLT.RNZ7
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Last Amended: 21 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54581
Location: Ellington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Ellington
Built-Up Area: Ellington
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ellington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 17 SE ELLINGTON HIGH STREET
7/108 Parish Church
28.1.58 of All Saints
(Formerly listed as Church of
GV I All Saints)
Parish Church of All Saints. Largely late C14 and early C15.
Of the earlier church the C13 chancel arch remains in situ with
fragments of C13 stone window jambs rebuilt in chancel, and
reset late C13 doorway in south wall; mid C13 doorway in north
wall of north aisle. South aisle C14, tower c.1400 rebuilt at
same time as the nave arcades, north aisle and south porch.
South wall of south aisle rebuilt at end of C15 and clerestorey
added. South porch C16. Roofs to nave and aisles contemporary
with their rebuilding but restored in 1907-08. Chancel rebuilt
in 1863 (Scott?). Spire restored in 1889. Walls of rubble and
pebble rubble originally plastered with Barnack and Ketton
limestone dressings. Roofs of lead, slate and tile. North
facing elevation. Chancel rebuilt in C19 of three buttressed
bays with steeply pitched roof, has two, two-light windows with
geometric tracery, and a late C15 two-light window with transome
and four-centred head. Late C15 clerestorey with embattled
parapet and low pitch roof to nave has four, three-light windows
in four-centred arches and three gargoyles. North aisle,
c.1400, has three, three-light windows with tracery in four-
centred heads, an embattled parapet and angle buttresses at
quoins and bays of two stages. North porch c.1400 has a
two-centred outer arch of two continuous moulded orders with a
square-label and spandrels carved with the wheat-ear. Above the
arch is a small niche. Embattled parapets with remains of
pinnacles and diagonal buttress. Inner north doorway reset C13
two-centred arch of two richly moulded orders resting on jambs
with one detached, and two attached shafts with moulded capitals
and bases. Late C14 west tower of three stages has a moulded
plinth with an octagonal broach-spire rising from a moulded
cornice. The buttresses set in from the angle rise to the full
height of the tower, below the cornice is a band of quatre-
foils. Belfrey windows of two transomed lights with a quatre-
foil in each two-centred head. Three tiers of spire-lights,
those of bottom and top tiers on the cardinal faces. Interior.
Chancel, arch C13 two-centred of two chamfered orders, the inner
order resting on semi-circular attached shafts with stiff-leaf
capitals and moulded bases. Nave arcades of four bays with
two-centred arches on columns of four semi-circular shafts with
hollow mouldings between and moulded capitals and bases. The
labels form a small ogee at the apex of each arch. Blocked
doorway with four-centred arch to rood stair. Tower arch, two
centred of two chamfered orders with attached semi-circular
shafts and moulded capitals. Low side rebated window in
chancel, restored C14 piscena in chancel, C14 piscena with ogee
head in south aisle. Very fine early C15 and late C15 roofs to
nave and aisles. Nave roof of four bays with moulded and carved
braces forming two-centred arches below principal rafters,
moulded with embattled collars, ridge and purlins also moulded.
Intermediate principal rafters have a centred angel at their
feet. At base of each wall-post is a smallcarved figure
problably an aspostle. The roofs of both north and south aisles
are similar, of four bays of moulded principal rafters with
braces and wall-posts with carved figures of saints; each bay is
sub- divided by intermediate rafters each with a large carved
angel at its foot. C15 font has an octagonal bowl with panelled
sides. In south aisle C13 stone coffin found under floor in
1915. Wall tablet on south aisle wall to Mary Ladds 1811.
VCH (Hunts) p46-48. RCHM (Hunts) p72-75.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p237.
Listing NGR: TL1602871782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings