This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9407 / 51°56'26"N
Longitude: 0.3096 / 0°18'34"E
OS Eastings: 558854
OS Northings: 229432
OS Grid: TL588294
Mapcode National: GBR NFH.73T
Mapcode Global: VHHLK.BH03
Entry Name: Horham Hall
Listing Date: 7 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122251
Location: Thaxted, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Thaxted
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TL 52NE: 3/1
Originally built circa 1470, as a timber framed house, extended and partially
rebuilt in red brick by John Cutte in the early C16. Extensive restoration in mid C19.
Red plain tile roofs, with C19 crenellated parapets, and early C16 stepped gables.
2 storeys. Originally an H plan, the early C16 house was quadrangular with gate house.
Windows are stone and plastered brick. East elevation has 2 storeyed porch, with
four centred outer archway of 2 hollow chamfered arches with label. Inner doorway has
moulded jambs and four centred arch. The great Oriel to the hall is semi-octagonal
with trefoiled lights, surmounted by quatrefoil square head. The north wing is
linked by an angled passageway, with C19 windows. The south wing has a 2 storey bay
window with 3 facing lights with four centred heads. North elevation has large square
staircase tower, with C19 parapet and original doorcase on east side. Original
windows extensively restored C19. West side is extensively restored in C19, with
large early C16 chimney stack, with crow stepped capping, rectangular base,
2 octagonal and one diagonal shaft. South elevation has C17 kitchen range set at an
angle and C16 chimney stack, with 3 octagonal shafts, linked by oversailing caps.
Centre shaft has zig-zag roll ornament. The hall roof has a hexagonal timber lantern,
with a four centred light in each face. Internally are many original details. C16
stained glass. Original screen to passage, with 2 doorways with four centred arches
in square heads, and pierced spandrels. Original clunch fireplaces survive in north
wing. Solid oak treads to lower part of staircase. South wing has some of the late
C15 timber framing exposed. Originally partly jettied. C16 fireplace and door
details. C16 wall painting is said to survive behind c19 panelling. Late C16 stair-
case, with square newels with guilloche ornament and moulded tops, and turned balusters
Kitchen is still of original 2 storey height. First floor has early C16 fireplaces,
doors etc. Ceiling to hail and first floor south wing are barrel vaulted and. early 016.
South wing has fine late C15 combined crown post and framed side purlin roof. The tie
beams are arch braced, as are the side purlins. The crown posts are four armed with
diagonal shafts, moulded bases and capitals. The site is moated and parts of the moat
house late C15 and early C16 brick revetments. In recent times the house has been the
residence of Sir George Binney, the arctic explorer, and the novelist Evelyn Anthony.
Listing NGR: TL5885429432
Other nearby listed buildings