This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6652 / 50°39'54"N
Longitude: -3.4673 / 3°28'2"W
OS Eastings: 296396
OS Northings: 86086
OS Grid: SX963860
Mapcode National: GBR P2.KZ03
Mapcode Global: FRA 37M9.WJL
Entry Name: Turf Hotel
Listing Date: 11 April 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165341
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85449
Location: Exminster, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Exminster
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exminster St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 NE
5/32 Turf Hotel
Hotel, formerly inn at the Turf Lock of the Exeter Canal. Circa 1825 by James Green.
Slate-hung brick with a hipped slate roof and rendered stacks to the main range,
gabled slate roofs to rear wings.
Overall U plan with a single depth main range and rear left and right wings (the left
wing shorter) which are said to have been stables and outbuildings. Projecting water
tower in angle between rear right wing and main range.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5 window front with a single-storey central entrance
extension of the late C19 and a central front door, second square headed doorway with
fanlight and boarded door to left of centre. Boxed 12-pane hornless sashes except
for first floor window right which is a 3-light bow window with 3 12-pane sashes. On
the right return of the main range is a 2-storey canted bay window with 12-pane
sashes to the sides and central 16-pane sashes. The rear right wing has a lower
roofline and irregular fenestration, mostly of small pane C20 casements. The end
wall of the wing is brick and may have been rebuilt. The rear wall of the main range
has a small projecting rectangular shaft for a service lift, no longer in use; the
water tower, in the angle with the rear right wing is slate-hung.
Interior: Modernized for hotel use but retaining some original doorways.
A handsome example of a slate-hung building on an impressive site. The large windows
on the right hand corner of the main range overlook the estuary.
In 1825 the Exeter Canal was extended south to Turf Reach and a lock (qv) was built
at the new entrance. James Green, the engineer, was surveyor of Bridges and
Buildings for Devon from 1818-1841. He had worked under Rennie on various projects
and was the engineer of the Bude Canal, begun in 1819.
Harris, H and Ellis, M., The Bude Canal (1972)
Listing NGR: SX9639686086
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings