This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4937 / 53°29'37"N
Longitude: -0.2348 / 0°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 517199
OS Northings: 401112
OS Grid: TA171011
Mapcode National: GBR VXS1.YB
Mapcode Global: WHHJ3.CGD1
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Last Amended: 1 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196378
Location: Swallow, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Swallow
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Cuxwold St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 10 SW SWALLOW CUXWOLD MAIN
2/23 Church of
Church c.llOO, C15, restored in 1860 by James Fowler. Ironstone
rubble, some limestone rubble, ironstone ashlar, slate roofs.
west tower, nave, south porch, rectangular chancel. Late Cll
West tower with plinth. C19 lancet on west front and 3 Cll
bellopenings, each consisting of small weathered lancet. Moulded
Cll parapet above. North side of nave has round headed arches of
2 blocked early C12 arcade bays. 2 windows inserted by Fowler,
each with 2 pointed cusped lights with quatrefoil above and
polychrome voussoirs. Embedded beneath west window is an Cll
grave marker's round head with 4 radiating petals. West corner
of north wall of chancel has part of blocked arcade visible.
Chancel appears to have been raised in C19. East end has plinth
and C19 ashlar bands. Pointed C19 east window of 3 lights with
tracery, hoodmould and labelstopheads. Gable above with finial.
Southside of chancel has C19 ashlar bands and pointed C19 window
2 lights with tracery, hoodmould labelstop heads and polychrome
voussoirs. In west corner where the chancel meets the nave is a
fragment of moulded abacus of former arcade. Plinth runs round
nave which has pointed C19 window of 3 lights with tracery
hoodmould, headlabelstops and polychrome voussoirs. C19 south
porch with pointed double chamfered west doorway with keeled
hoodmould and re-used C15 headlabelstop. Painted chamfered west
door inside porch with C19 hoodmould headlabelstops and plank
door. Cll interior tower arch with round head, large moulded
impost blocks and plank door. Early C12 pointed, double chamfered
chancel arch dies into imposts. C19 roofs. C20 pulpit, lecturn,
reading desk, pews and altar rail. Font of c.llOO, basin shaped
on pedestal with scallop pattern round brim. Various C19
monuments, including large, pinnacled ashlar monument to the
Thorold family in the 1870's.
Listing NGR: TA1719901111
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings