This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3557 / 52°21'20"N
Longitude: -0.2145 / 0°12'52"W
OS Eastings: 521697
OS Northings: 274567
OS Grid: TL216745
Mapcode National: GBR J2G.6M5
Mapcode Global: VHGLW.71GZ
Plus Code: 9C4X9Q4P+76
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Last Amended: 21 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54611
Location: The Stukeleys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: The Stukeleys
Built-Up Area: Great Stukeley
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Stukeley St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 27 SW THE STUKELEYS CHURCH ROAD
8/140 Church of St. Bartholomew
28.1.58 (Formrly listed as Church of
St.Bartholomew, Great stukeley)
Parish church of C13 nave, north and south aisles and chancel
with C15 west tower. The church replaces a C12 church on the
site. The church was restored in 1909-10. C15 west tower of
Barnack with some rubblestone. Of five stages on splayed plinth
with clasping buttresses. Parapetted with cut down pinnacles at
corners. West doorway in two centred arch of two moulded
orders. West window of three cinquefoil lights with vertical
tracery in two-centred head. Square head to a single trefoil
light to each wall of third stage. Bell stage, openings carried
down below string of third stage. Two cinquefoil openings in
two-centred head. Sundial incised in south-west buttress. Nave
of pebble and rubblestone, C13 with C19 plain tiled roof. C15
clerestorey of three windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in
square head. South aisle, C13 of pebbles and rubblestone, but
with C14 fenestration. Three windows, each of three lights with
decorated tracery in shallow pointed arches with moulded labels
and return stops. South porch, C15 but altered in C17 or C18.
Outer arch remade, round headed arch of two chamfered orders.
Inner arch four-centred and of wave and hollow moulded orders.
In one wall of porch there is a reset stone carved with
Lombardic lettering, probably C14. Chancel. Late C13 of pebble
and rubblestone with tiled roof. One C14 window of two trefoil
lights in square head and one C15 window (restored) with low
side. East end partly rebuilt in C19 with four centred arch to
three-light window with intersecting tracery, restored. In
north wall one C13 window of two trefoil lights and a C13
doorway with a single chamfered order. Interior. Part of
ribbed vaulting to ground stage of west tower remains. Vaulting
springs from finely carved beast and grotesque corbels. Tower
arch two-centred of two wave moulded orders with responds having
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Nave arcade of
four bays with west bay of north arcade partly blocked when
tower built. Two centred arches on round columns with bell
capitals, and hold-water bases. The capitals to the south
arcade are round, except for one with carving. C15 chancel arch
two-centred and of two chamfered orders with inner carried on
half-octagonal attached shafts with octagonal capitals and
bases. Chancel with C17 roof of four bays and Queen strut
trusses. Wide splays to window openings. C14 piscina in south
wall. Trefoil head in two centred arch with projecting drain.
Some reused moulded stone in south wall. C13 font. Octagonal
with roll moulded lower edge on circular stem with eight
detached, subsidiary shafts, some restored, with hold-water
RCHM (Hunts) mon.(2), p263.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p257.
Listing NGR: TL2169774567
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings