History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Farmbuildings, Comprising Planned Farmstead with Granary, Root Store and Straw Barn, Cart Sheds, Shippons, Shelter Sheds, and Stables Approximately 15 Metres West of Dinnaton Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Swimbridge, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0359 / 51°2'9"N

Longitude: -3.9688 / 3°58'7"W

OS Eastings: 262052

OS Northings: 128128

OS Grid: SS620281

Mapcode National: GBR KV.H4D6

Mapcode Global: FRA 26KC.ZKD

Entry Name: Group of Farmbuildings, Comprising Planned Farmstead with Granary, Root Store and Straw Barn, Cart Sheds, Shippons, Shelter Sheds, and Stables Approximately 15 Metres West of Dinnaton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98650

Location: Swimbridge, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Swimbridge

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Swimbridge St James the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Dennington

Listing Text

SWIMBRIDGE
SS 62 NW
11/168 Group of farmbuildings,
comprising planned farmstead with
granary, root store and straw
barn, cart sheds, shippons,
shelter sheds and stables
approximately 15 metres west of
Dinnaton Farmhouse

GV II

Group of farmbuildings, comprising planned farmstead with granary, root store and
straw barn, cart sheds, shippons, shelter sheds and stables. 1853. Stone rubble
with some brick. Slate roofs. Courtyard plan with shippons, lofted shelter sheds
and stables enclosing 2 parallel stock buildings built gable end to the cart sheds,
barn, granary and processing plant which forms the T-shaped fourth side to the top
end of the courtyard, built into the bank with cart access to the first floor to
rear. Cart sheds with loft over have 4 cambered brick arches supported on granite
pillars. Shippons on east side have 3 doorways and window openings to the
courtyard side, giving access to the lofts above the shelter sheds with 6 cambered
brick arches on the outer face. 2 doorways to stables with axial brick stack on
west side. The 2 parallel stock buildings are now bridged by a gabled corrugated
iron roof to the central passage; the range to east side has 3 doorways with
ventilation slits with the majority of its interior fittings intact. The west
range has a wide cart opening with single doorway to left and 2 doorways to right
with slightly cambered brick arches. The storage and processing end has a cambered
stone arch with loft door above at the west end and external stone steps to loft
door with 1853 datestone with Bedford crest above at east gable end. The original
gearing and some of the machinery intact. The farmstead was formerly part of the
Duke of Bedford estate.


Listing NGR: SS6205228128

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.