This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5471 / 50°32'49"N
Longitude: -3.5936 / 3°35'36"W
OS Eastings: 287188
OS Northings: 73138
OS Grid: SX871731
Mapcode National: GBR QS.BSH5
Mapcode Global: FRA 37CM.7TH
Entry Name: Gildons Cottage
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165477
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85397
Location: Kingsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Kingsteignton
Built-Up Area: Kingsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingsteignton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
KINGSTEIGNTON GOLVERS HILL ROAD
SX 87 SE
5/140 No 2 (Gildons Cottage)
Cottage. C17, remodelled in the circa late C18/early C19 and extended by a rear wing
in the C20. Whitewashed rendered cob on stone rubble footings; thatched roof, gabled
at right end; brick stack at right end with rendered shaft. C20 wing whitewashed,
rendered concrete block with a thatched roof.
Internal evidence suggests that this building is the lower end (possibly originally
unheated) and through passage of a larger C17 2 or 3 room and through passage house.
The date at which the higher end (No 4) was rebuilt and the house was divided is not
clear, but it may have been in the late C18, the probable date of the roof trusses.
The front elevation of No 2 was remodelled as a symmetrical cottage orne facade, the
original doorway at the left being replaced with a window and a new doorway being
made in the centre leading into a small lobby taken out of the right hand room. The
brick stack may have been added at the same time and a straight stair was introduced
into the passage. A single storey rear service room with a lean-to roof was added.
In the late C20 a rear right 1 room plan wing, at right angles to the main range, was
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 bay front with a thatched porch carried on posts, the eaves
thatch eyebrowed over the 2 first floor windows, 2-light arched casement windows with
leaded panes, most of the casements iron. Similar casement on right return.
Interior : partition wall to right of putative passage, pegged door frame at rear of
putative passage. Chamfered cross beam with step stops between ground floor room
right and putative passage. The collar rafter roof trusses have collars halved and
pegged on to the principals and a diagonally set ridge. Partition wall with No 4.
The present owner has copies of documentation mentioning the property in 1740 (DRO).
An attractive front elevation with earlier internal features.
Listing NGR: SX8718873138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings