This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4365 / 53°26'11"N
Longitude: 0.11 / 0°6'36"E
OS Eastings: 540265
OS Northings: 395375
OS Grid: TF402953
Mapcode National: GBR YX6P.MT
Mapcode Global: WHJKL.NWLD
Plus Code: 9F52C4P6+J2
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195457
Location: Conisholme, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
Civil Parish: Conisholme
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Conisholme St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
CONISHOLME CHURCH LANE
TF 49 NW
2/15 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Late C12, C15, 1761, 1853, 1876. Greenstone,
ironstone and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick.
Pantile roofs with brick and stone coped gables, eastern cross
finial and some decorative ridge tiles. Nave with west bellcote,
chancel. West front of 1853 rebuilt in red brick with outer
flanking 2 stage ashlar buttresses and 2 inner, 2 stage brick
buttresses flanking lancet and rising up to be joined by pointed
brick arch with gabled bellcote above with pointed opening, bell
and finial. North side of nave with outlines of 4 blocked north
arcade bays, with 2 bays to west picked out in red tiles. Window
to east of 1761 with round red brick head and wooden Y tracery.
North side of chancel plain. East end restored 1876 and flanked
by 2 stage angle buttresses and with C15 east window with
flattened triangular head. C19 2 round cusped heads with C19
tracery. South side of chancel with C19 lancet to east and C15
window to west with flattened triangular head with 2 lightswith
contorted round, cusped heads. Small C19 lancet below to west.
South side of nave with 2 C18 round headed windows with red brick
heads with wooden Y tracery. Doorway to west with moulded,
pointed head now blocked. Doorway of 1761 beyond with pointed
head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Stone above
inscribed ID 1761 CW. Nave interior with 4 bays of north arcade
partially exposed with double chamfered pointed heads, semi-
circular piers with beaded capitals and C19 corbelled responds.
Late C12 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, semi-
circular responds with fillets and plain moulded capitals.
Outline of 2 north arcade bays in chancel with pointed heads and
corbelled responds. Corbel in east wall and C19 aumbry below
east window in south wall. East window set in large pointed
archway. 2 windows to west in south chancel wall set in large
pointed blocked opening. Early C18 tie beam nave roof, C19
chancel roof. Pews of 1853. C12 plain drum font. Fragment of
Cll wheel cross with upper interlace decoration and crude
crucifixion scene below. Late C18 pulpit with round headed
panels. Brass to John Langholme, died 1515 and his wife with 5
sons and 9 daughters kneeling below.
Listing NGR: TF4026595376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings