This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.653 / 51°39'10"N
Longitude: 0.0649 / 0°3'53"E
OS Eastings: 542944
OS Northings: 196931
OS Grid: TQ429969
Mapcode National: GBR N6.H1M
Mapcode Global: VHHMS.2QP5
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 29 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165557
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118618
Location: Loughton, Epping Forest, Essex, IG10
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Loughton
Built-Up Area: Loughton
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Loughton, St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 49 NW LOUGHTON CHURCH LANE,
1/25 Parish church of St. John
Parish church, 1846, by Sidney Smirke, in neo-Norman style, extended in 1877.
Gault brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Cruciform plan with square
tower at crossing, stair tower in NE angle, vestry in SE angle, N porch. All
windows have round arches and internal splays, with external nook-shafts, the
same moulding continuing round the arch. The tower has 2 louvred lights in
each face, with nook-shafts and cushion capitals in recessed panels corbelled
at the top. The nave is in 4 bays with corbelled eaves. There are 2 windows,
with less splay than elsewhere. The interior is plastered, with plaster groined
vaulting throughout, cushion capitals on corbels in the nave, nook shafts with
moulded bases and cushion capitals at the crossing. The chancel was of one bay
originally, extended by one bay in 1877, with 3 E windows and 2 on each side.
The reredos is of painted tiles, mosaic and marble, and the same treatment
extends to the sides of the E bay only. In the E wall of the S transept there
is a wrought iron grill of flowing curves ending in six-petalled flowers, to
Henry Maitland, 1878. There is coloured glass in the chancel and transepts,
plain glass in the nave. The floor was of brick originally, replaced with
planking in 1982 with a dais at the crossing. The vestry is gabled to the S,
with a group of 3 round-headed lights and a round window above. The N doorway
is round headed beneath a segmental arch.
Listing NGR: TQ4294496931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings