This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6749 / 50°40'29"N
Longitude: -3.4836 / 3°29'1"W
OS Eastings: 295262
OS Northings: 87187
OS Grid: SX952871
Mapcode National: GBR P2.K0QS
Mapcode Global: FRA 37L9.8MW
Entry Name: Station House
Listing Date: 12 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85473
Location: Exminster, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Exminster
Built-Up Area: Exminster
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exminster St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EXMINSTER STATION ROAD
SX 98 11
5/56 Station House
Station house, disused at time of survey (1985). Possibly 1846-7, designed by Brunel
Heavitree brecchia and brick, stuccoed, with a 2-span tiled roof with deep eaves and
2 gables to front and rear, rendered axial stacks with moulded caps, small brick
shaft on front in valley. Italianate style.
The building combines station master's house and station offices. 4 room plan with 4
heated rooms served by the axial stacks with back to back fireplaces. The station
master's accommodation is entered on the west side and consists of 2 principal ground
floor rooms, one on either side of a central hall which contains the stairs. The
rear right room is divided between the kitchen and the station store, the rear left
room is the station office which has an entrance on the north side.
2 storeys: Asymmetrical 2 window east elevation (facing the track) with deep eaves
carried on moulded brackets. All the openings have projecting architraves and were
boarded up at time of survey (1985). 2 first floor Venetian windows with keystones,
the central lights with margin glazing. A doorway with 4-panel door to left of
centre leads into the station store with windows on either side, a larger window to
the right lights the station office. The west elevation is symmetrical with steps up
to a central entrance flanked by 3-light mullioned windows. 1 first floor 1-light
window above door, Venetian windows to left and right. The north elevation has a
doorway into the station office at the extreme left, a tripartite blind recess in the
centre and a large rectangular blind recess to the right, presumably for time-tables
and posters. 3 first floor 1-light windows.
Interior not inspected but fittings may survive in station master's office.
An attractive example of a very complete station house with good detail.
Exminster station is on the Exeter to Newton Abbot line, originally that of the
Atmospheric system of the South Devon Railway Company, designed by Brunel, built in
1846-1847 and closed in 1848 as a result of technical difficulties. The style of the
building is very similar to the Starcross Pumping Station on the same line, designed
Listing NGR: SX9526287187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings