History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Collaven Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Sourton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6855 / 50°41'7"N

Longitude: -4.0831 / 4°4'59"W

OS Eastings: 252939

OS Northings: 89383

OS Grid: SX529893

Mapcode National: GBR NZ.611Y

Mapcode Global: FRA 27B8.938

Entry Name: Collaven Manor

Listing Date: 7 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165712

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94353

Location: Sourton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Sourton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sourton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bridestowe

Listing Text

SOURTON
SX 58 NW

12/113 Collaven Manor

GV II

Small manor house. Early C17, possibly 1602, with additions of 1675, early C18,
late C18 or early C19, circa mid-C19 and early C20. Granite rubble walls. Gable
ended slate roof, hipped roof to rear early C20 block. 4 chimney stacks : rendered
brick shaft on stone base at left gable end; rendered brick axial stack to main
range; early C18 brick stack with blind arch on each side, axial to main range and
wing, C20 brick stack at front gable.end of wing.
Plan: Originally 3-room and through passage plan, lower end to the left. All 3
rooms likely to have been heated, the hall by an axial stack backing onto the
passage, the lower and inner rooms heated by gable end stacks. In 1675 a 2-
storeyed porch was added at the front of the passage. In the early C18 a wing was
added at the front of the inner room heated by a gable end stack, probably for use
as a parlour. In the later C18 or early C19 a wing was built behind the hall
probably to provide extra service rooms. In the circa mid C19 an adjoining outshut
was built to the rear of the inner room. In Edwardian times a large drawing room
was added parallel to the lower end at the back.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window front with early C18 wing projecting from front of
right-hand end and gabled 2-storeyed porch to left of centre which has 2-light
chamfered granite mullion window to first floor. Otherwise the windows are all 2
and 3-light C20 casements with glazing bars. The hall window to the right of the
porch retains its granite lintel and jambs although its mullions have been removed.
The window to its right also retains its granite jambs with a granite hoodmould
above which has a 4-petal flower carved in its left-hand label. The right-hand end
of the hood-mould has been overlapped by the C18 wing. The 2-storeyed porch has an
acute 4-centred granite chamfered granite arch with a C20 plank door. Above it is a
stone plaque inscribed with the date 1675 and the initials "P.B." probably referring
to the Beare family. The right-hand wing has a C20 plank door to the left. Over
this and the 2 windows to its right are flat arches of 3 pieces of dressed granite,
the central piece taller. At the rear of the left-hand end is the parallel early
C20 range with an adjoining wing and outshut behind the right-hand end under a
catslide roof. On its rear face the C18 brick stack re-uses a stone plaque
inscribed with "Richard Beare and his wife Elizabeth 1602".
Interior: the lower room fireplace has probably been reconstructed and has a stone
arch with rusticated voussoirs. In this room are 2 chamfered cross beams with
indiscernable stops. The hall fireplace has a chamfered granite lintel and jambs
and an oven in the right-hand side. The hall has chamfered cross beams with step
stops. The inner room also has a granite framed fireplace which has had a later
one inserted into it. It has rough axial beams and joists. The C18 parlour in the
wing has a high ceiling with rough cross beams originally likely to have been
plastered.
The roof timbers are probably C18 and consist of straight principals onto which the
collars have been halved in. The purlins rest on the backs of the principals. The
roof over the porch may be original to it and has a curved collar.


Listing NGR: SX5293989383

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.