This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7021 / 50°42'7"N
Longitude: -3.5622 / 3°33'43"W
OS Eastings: 289777
OS Northings: 90328
OS Grid: SX897903
Mapcode National: GBR P0.59H4
Mapcode Global: FRA 37F7.21K
Plus Code: 9C2RPC2Q+R4
Entry Name: Parish Church of St. Ida
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85488
Location: Ide, Teignbridge, Devon, EX2
Civil Parish: Ide
Built-Up Area: Ide
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ide St Ida
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
IDE THE GREEN, Ide
SX 89 SE
1/71 Parish Church of St. Ida
Parish Church. C15 tower, the rest of the church 1833 by Hooper and Cornish. Tower
volcanic trap brought to course, the rest cement-rendered with a slate roof.
Plan of tower, nave, shallow chancel, north-west vestry, south porch. Perpendicular
C15 tower; the rest of the church was entirely rebuilt in 1833 with an unambitious
rectangular nave and shallow chancel with pre-archaeological Gothic detail. In 1909
the chancel was refurbished and the nave was partly re-seated in the early C20
enriching an otherwise rather spartan interior.
4-bay battlemented nave with tall 3-light windows with Perpendicular style tracery.
Shallow chancel with similar 4-light east window and a battlemented gable. Flat-
roofed north-west vestry, battlemented south-west porch with arched outer doorway.
The battlemented west tower (no pinnacles) with a 4-sided south-east stair turret
has 2-light traceried belfry openings on all 4 faces and a 1-light chamfered opening
at bellringer's stage on the south side. Hooper and Cornish did not treat the west
face of the tower sympathetically in 1833, their arched west doorway cuts into the
remains of the 3-light Perpendicular west window which has volcanic trap tracery.
Interior: Plastered walls. No chancel arch, plastered ceiling with segmental
profile. West gallery carried on moulded iron columns. Of the 1833 fittings
modestly - panelled box pews survive against the north and south walls, some Gothick
panelling in the chancel and a small font with an octagonal bowl. Otherwise the
fittings are early C20 by Herbert Read: 13-bay chancel screen with square-headed
openings, similar parcloses, reredos, choir furnishings, very large timber drum
pulpit on wineglass stem with carved figures under traceried niches, nave benches.
Pretty early C20 stained glass with an Art Nouveau influence. 1721 wall monument to
Joseph Tothill with a broken pediment and an achievement. An unusual coffin waggon,
probably mid to late C19, survives in the nave.
Although St. Ida's is not a very distinguished building architecturally it is
historically interesting as an example of a local architect/builder's treatment of a
medieval church in the decade before the Gothic Revival in the Diocese of Exeter.
Listing NGR: SX8977790328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings