This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1135 / 52°6'48"N
Longitude: 0.1494 / 0°8'58"E
OS Eastings: 547279
OS Northings: 248313
OS Grid: TL472483
Mapcode National: GBR L8H.GM1
Mapcode Global: VHHKP.J4WL
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53157
Location: Whittlesford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
Civil Parish: Whittlesford
Built-Up Area: Whittlesford
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Whittlesford St Mary and St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4648 WHITTLESFORD NORTH ROAD
10/338 The Guildhall
Guildhall, converted to several cottages and now one dwelling. Late C15 or
early C16, with C19 alterations, restored 1967. Timber-framed with plaster
infill; hipped plain tiled roof. Rear chimney stack. Two storeys. Four
equal timber-framed bays jettied to south-west and south-east elevations;
main entrance in second bay from left hand, and first floor entrance, to rear
of first bay. C20 boarded door in original wave-moulded wooden door frame
with four-centred arched head and carved spandrels. (Similar moulding to
rear door). Four first floor windows in original positions with leaded-light
casement windows and three ground floor four-light mullioned windows. Plain
curved braces to each bay post of jetty with carved pilaster ornament.
Roll-moulded jetty bressumer enriched with folded leaf carving. Weathered
corner post with roll-moulded dragon post. Interior: Original plan of
single bay to left hand divided into two rooms at ground floor with
three-bayed hall, and first floor hall of four bays with externals access.
Floor frames and crown-post roof trusses with plain chamfered detail.
Evidence of shutters to original windows. C19 tiled floor of note. The
Guildhall was used as the parish workhouse from c.1600, and occasionally as a
VCH Vol.VI. P.271-2
Listing NGR: TL4727948313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings