This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8213 / 50°49'16"N
Longitude: -4.1458 / 4°8'44"W
OS Eastings: 248954
OS Northings: 104614
OS Grid: SS489046
Mapcode National: GBR KM.XFLM
Mapcode Global: FRA 266X.NPN
Entry Name: Church of Holy Cross
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93199
Location: Highampton, West Devon, Devon, EX21
Civil Parish: Highampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Highampton Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 40 SE
5/91 Church of Holy Cross
Parish church. C12 origins with circa late C15 tower and the rest of the church
rebuilt in 1837. Restored in 1876. Coursed stone rubble walls with some granite to
the tower. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch and vestry at east end of
aisle. The only survival of the C12 church is the south doorway and the Norman
font. The church was probably rebuilt in the C15 and the tower dates from this
time. The remainder of the church was entirely rebuilt in 1837 according to
Exterior: 3-stage west tower with chamfered plinth and stringcourses. Battlemented
with crocketted pinnacles. 2-light 4-centred head belfry openings. Granite west
doorway has 2-centred head with hollow and roll moulding. Completely restored 3-
light Perpendicular-style West window. North aisle has two 3-light windows with
cinquefoiled heads. Leanto vestry at east end of aisle re-uses a C17 3-light
moulded granite mullion window. East window is 3-light with early English style
tracery. South side has 2 cinquefoiled head windows - that to the west is 1-light,
the other 3-light, 1 storey gabled south porch has 2-centred arch.
Interior: good C12 south doorway with simple Norman arch supported on shafts with
cushion capitals. Porch has old carved wall-plates. The aisle is divided from nave
by 2 Doric columns which support a flat plastered lintel. C12 font bowl decorated
with stars, crosses and circles. Base probably renewed. Tower screen commemorated
1897 Jubilee. Wagon roofs to nave and chancel may re-use some old timbers.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton; Kelly's
Directory - 1906.
Listing NGR: SS4895404614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings