This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8644 / 51°51'51"N
Longitude: 1.2881 / 1°17'17"E
OS Eastings: 626486
OS Northings: 223539
OS Grid: TM264235
Mapcode National: GBR VRQ.2GN
Mapcode Global: VHLCV.8DVK
Plus Code: 9F33V77Q+Q7
Entry Name: Naze Tower
Listing Date: 21 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119945
Location: Frinton and Walton, Tendring, Essex, CO14
Civil Parish: Frinton and Walton
Built-Up Area: Walton-on-the-Naze
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Walton-le-Soken All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
In the entry for the following building:-
YM 22 SE FRINTON AND WALTON THE NAZE
4/96 Naze Tower
- 21.6.84 II
the grade shall be amended to read II*(star).
FRINTON AND WALTON THE NAZE,
TM 22 SE
4/96 Naze Tower
Navigation Tower. Dated 1720 for Trinity House. Plum coloured brick.
Octagonal of 3 reducing stages with clasping buttresses to angles. C19/C20
upper stage. Moulded brick plinth with 1979 concrete plinth below. Third stage
with 2 upper roundheaded window openings, one now blocked and 3 windows above
second stage, 2 now blocked. 2 round headed windows to second stage and a
single window to first stage. C20 double vertically boarded doors, concrete
lintel over. A lead plaque over doorway relates "Trinity House 1720".
Internally the tower has several storeys reached by an iron spiral staircase.
Iron framework to top section. Designed to serve with Walton Hall Tower q.v.
4/88 as a guide to vessels through the Goldmer Gap and also with a light in
Suffolk to lead into the Suffolk/Essex border rivers.
Listing NGR: TM2648623539
Other nearby listed buildings