This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.595 / 50°35'41"N
Longitude: -3.6725 / 3°40'20"W
OS Eastings: 281718
OS Northings: 78583
OS Grid: SX817785
Mapcode National: GBR QM.GXWW
Mapcode Global: FRA 376H.F2R
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84535
Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey
Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BOVEY TRACEY TOWN HALL PLACE, Bovey Tracey
11/90 Town Hall
Town hall. Built 1866, with later additions. Squared granite and slatestone rubble
with granite and limestone ashlar dressings; additions on north-west side contain
some yellow brick and artificial stone. Hipped roof with asbestos slates. At
north-east end is a stone gable-parapet with a pair of symmetrically-placed
chimneystacks having bracketed Italianate tops. Rectangular plan, with smaller
square projection at south-west end and stair turret (probably a later addition) at
north-east end. A range of later buildings on north-west side. 2 storeys, with
single-storey addition on north-west. The main part of the building somewhat
resembles an Italian late medieval town hall with Renaissance detail added. The
upper storey forms a piano nobile with 5 pointed-arched windows on each of the long
sides. The basement storey is of rusticated granite ashlar, finished with a band of
limestone. From it rise the tall second-storey windows, their arches of alternating
granite and limestone blocks springing from a raised impost band of limestone; the
windows are of 2 lights with a single glazed panel above, the heads of the mullions
decorated with a 4-leaved flower. The fronts are finished with a bracketed cornice,
decorated, at each corner of the building, with a low pedestal having a shaped top.
At each of the north-east and south-west ends is a pair of iron rainwater pipes with
heads cast as fiery dragons. Interior not inspected.
The building was described in C19 as Vestry and Town Hall with police cells and
constable's residence. Cost £1,300.
Sources: Morris's Directory for Devonshire, 1870, p.459. Kelly's Directory of
Devonshire, 1897, p.81. L Tregoning, Bovey Tracey, 1983, p.48
Listing NGR: SX8171878583
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings